I am newer at bowl turning, have finished 5 reasonable bowls and have several blanks that I got wet and roughed and are drying.

The part that I have been least satisfied with in my finished bowls is the foot whether tenon or recess my chuck jaws have left a mark. What I have tried to do is turn the whole outside screwed to the face plate including finishing. Then turn it around, chuck it, and do the inside. My G3 has left marks either way though, it is more noticeable with a tenon, but either way they are there.

My conclusion is that I need to be able to flip it again and make a final cut on the bottom, this will also be relevant with finishing a roughed out blank I guess.

So...... what is the best way to do this. I think a vacuum chuck is out of budget for now so I believe I am left with cole jaws, a longworth chuck, or a jam chuck. Longworth seems easier to use than cole, and to be honest I am not really sure how a jam chuck works, I have watched a video or 2 on youtube but it seems rather difficult.

What do you all recommend?