Thread: Will tapered legs (down to 1"x1") be strong enough to support pine table top + 300lb?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the Bridle joints than the tapers. Pine will be too soft for such a joint to hold very long. I use tapered legs in a lot of my table builds..no issues. The thin walls of the bridle joints is what I don't like...table in the other pictures used a hardwood.... maybe make the cut out at the top of the legs as narrow as you can....1/4" or so?
    I'm glad to hear about the tapers! The wall of each bridle joint is 5/8" thick (see below). Since the general wisdom seems to be that pine might not be strong enough, I'll add glue to the mating surfaces and reinforce it with dowels.
    This will be used as a computer desk (with 3 electronic measurement equipment, ea. at ~30lb) and I'm accounting for the weight of a person sitting on it.

What was the thickness of the top and end of each leg in those photos?
    Legs_BJDim.PNG

Top end of those legs was 1-1/2" square at the top, tapers to a 3/4" square "foot"
    leg blanks 1.JPG
    I ripped a 2 x 4 into two square leg blanks. Then the tapers were hand planed
    rough planed.JPG
    All I had to do was mark out the line...
    DSCF0015.JPG
    And work my way back uphill.