Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backlash and cheating....

Very nice score Martin. And yes I cheated, and am green with envy ... except that moving machinery this size stresses me out.
    Peter, nice new mortiser. Love to see more about it.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

You should be able to rent a drop deck trailer. They simplify moving a lot. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You should be able to rent a drop deck trailer. They simplify moving a lot. Dave

I'm just going to swallow paying another $40 in tolls to get through Chicago with the skid loader trailer. It's going to be a long ass day to go get it. I figure I'll leave at 4am, and get home around midnight.

Moving it is going to be easier with a trailer for sure, fork it on, strap it down, fork it off.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    300,000 is pretty good, I only have about 195,000 to catch up.

If it's a diesel, everything that says Mopar will rot and fall off of the parts that say Cummins, New Venture, or Dana. But, it'll keep going.

I've done the Chicago thing a few times with a trailer and not much fun. I try to time it for 9-10 pm or late morning. but never very easy. People have little clue how hard it is to slow down quickly with a trailer when they cut in front and stop. Dave

I used to have to drive the race hauler through there to get to Joliet, try it with a semi. Not fun. I have family in Long Grove and although it is about an hour longer I usually go over the top.

How long did the "Four for the Future' project last, about fifteen years it seemed like.

Looks like a nice score. It also looks like a beast! As for Going through Chicago on I 80....definitely avoid rush hour. I know you're in Iowa somewhere but the toll portion in Illinois is short. Still the IPass is a blessing. If I weren't an hour and a half from I 80 I would loan mine to you just to make it easier. It also works in all the EzPass states and because there is no attendant required cuts the toll from about 1/3-2/3 depending on the state. Let us know how the trip goes and how the "Beast" runs after you get it powered up. Looks like it is built to last a life time or two or three.

You guys hauling too heavy with your pick-ups better not come thru this area. The local PUC cop will nail your butt to a flagpole, not to mention reach deeply into your wallet! Seriously though, some truck suspensions may be able to handle more weight that listed, but there are the other issues of braking and steering. Simply put is unsafe and ILLEGAL to overload your vehicle beyond the stated limits. I drive a commercial triaxle dump truck and I am not allowed out of the quarry over 73280#, which is the legal limit for said vehicle here in PA. Furthermore the fines for being overweight are prohibitive. This is a good thing. I have seen some very unsafe usage of pickups however, and smile when I seem one pulled over by the law. Once I saw a very small Toyota pickup with about a ton to ton-and-a-half of coal in the back. His rear bumper was dragging and his lights were in the tree tops! I can't image there was much ability to steer, let alone stop!
    Please don't contribute to someone getting hurt by overloading your vehicle.

btw Martin, nice score!
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 05-06-2017 at 2:08 PM. Reason: added

The worst thing I ever towed was because of negative tongue weight. I had something silly like 800 sq/ft of oak flooring in the back of the enclosed trailer. Back roads, and I wasn't doing much more than 30mph. Luckily I had to go less than 15 miles.

I've towed a lot and I've towed a ridiculous variety of combinations. Know your vehicle, know your own limitations. Getting cowboy about it doesn't help anything. If this were 3000# of brick on a pallet, I wouldn't even flinch at putting it in the back. It'd barely even squat, but being a whole lot of the mass will be cab high, I'm guessing it'll be an uncomfortable trip home with it in the back.

The worst part of hauling that in the back of a truck is the lack of tie down points. been meaning to attach anchor points through the frame rails but I never have the time.

worst part of that machine in the bed is loading an unloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    You create vacuum.
    ...excellent...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Haha! Turns out I'm more of a retard than I thought!

I screwed up my bid. So I didn't have to drive to Michigan.

But, I didn't piece that together, until I was actually in Michigan. There's been some expletives used.

Bummer!

How did you screw it up? I am curious as I was thinking of bidding on a dump truck they have coming up in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Bummer!

How did you screw it up? I am curious as I was thinking of bidding on a dump truck they have coming up in Minnesota.
    I don't think I confirmed my bid, and being it never even got close to my max bid, I never got an email saying I was it bid. A stupid mistake that cost me about $1200 today.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-08-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Well, I gotta say, you definitely provided a good bunch of humor on this one Martin. No offense, but I have the unique curse- or is it an ability- not sure, to see the funny side of most situations. Things like this, people getting hurt up to fairly seriously, stuff like that. Always makes me laugh.
    Then , the fact that you can publicly share it while being self deprecating over it is impressive.
    Nobody likes losing a days pay, so I understand that.
    You will recover though.
    It was a nice day for a drive- I hope.

I had a guy who worked for me who said I was really hard on myself.

Yep.
    I am.

Why? Because it's better I do it, than the people I work for. A little public shaming will hopefully keep my head out of my rectum in the future. It won't completely work, but it'll help. I was just so excited to get it, I messed up. I'm really pissed at myself.

16-1/2 hours on the road. $58.40 in tolls. ~$140 in fuel, ten hours of missed work...