A few of my smooth planes...
IMG_0509 (640x480).jpg
Each was a different maker, although my Stanley No. 4 is busy elsewhere...these will have to do..
Each has their original irons and chipbreakers. First up...
IMG_0499 (640x480).jpg
Millers Falls No. 9, type 4. Wood was some Cherry scrap. Also tried it on some Fir ( Barn Wood)
IMG_0505 (640x480).jpg
It can do them "see-through" shavings....I prefer not to. Waste of time and effort to plane a board taking those Uber thin shavings....
IMG_0503 (640x480).jpg
A #4 size plane...
IMG_0502 (640x480).jpg
Almost polished the surface..the plane?
IMG_0504 (640x480).jpg
A-4 Anant. Ok, one more plane, one more Maker..
IMG_0508 (640x480).jpg
Made by Sargent, sold as a Dunlap, iron stamped as "Eclipse"

All irons in this shop are sharpened to 2500 grit, then stropped. Backs are flat where they need to be flat at. Chipbreakers have a knife edge where they meet the blade. They have a polished surface where they curve up and away from the back of the iron. Set ~1mm back from the edge. Frog is set in-line with the surface of the ramp at the back of the mouth. None of these planes show any sign of chatter. Soles are as flat as needed. Mainly the toe, mouth and heel are even/coplannar. I usually rub the sole with an old, plain candle before use.

Don't really want to spend the entire day making whisppy thin shavings....takes too long to get anything done ( other than to show off ....) I need to get the job done, so I can continue on with the project.
On that "polished" board above....there was an old nail hole. Planes slid right on by it, not tearing things out. I tend to "circle around" knots, rather than just plowing straight across.
Set up is the same for other non-cambered planes in the shop.
plane.JPG
Even on a Stanley No. 5-1/2 Jumbo Jack I was using to flatten a glued up panel with. Even it has the original iron and chipbreaker
Just the way this shop works...YMMV...