Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: How old are you and are you passing on a woodworking legacy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Springer View Post
    I grew up with basically no hands on anything which is ironic because my dad is the best commercial construction manager I know. But he can't really hammer a nail.
    I hope you are not surprised that a manager has absolutely no clue how to do any of the work of the people they are managing. If you are, then keep your job as long as you can as you are VERY VERY LUCKY to not have seen this nearly universal fact. The manager that rises through the ranks is as rare as finding a MiniMax 20 in mint condition for a dollar as a yard sale any more in these days of outsourcing and everything being run by transient short-term Master Bullcrap Artists solely seeking their multiples when they pump and dump a business.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice! When my grandson was 2 I'd set him on the floor in the shop with a soft piece of pine and a gimlet and let him drill holes. He's 7 now and still likes to make holes, as does his little brother, 2.

JKJ
    +1 for John, teach em young. Sounds as though you are doing your job of passing the trade/enthusiasm to the young ones

34, I work as a senior manager for a large IT company so I got heavy into woodworking about 5 years ago. My dad built a construction company from scratch and the man litterally can build, work with, solve just about anything. I learned how to operate huge heavy construction equipment, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc. But woodworking was something I always liked doing with my Dad. When we all individually moved to Florida to the same town I started buying and upgrading tools from a fairly low budget collection in one of my garages to a stand alone shop with some top notch stuff you could say the passion took over. My son is really young but he's learning and he enjoys it. My dad and I still work projects together and there are few things I enjoy more. In today's digital gotta have it now world there needs to be more makers. People who do for themselves, solve problems, and accept challenges. Keep on building guys and gals.