Thread: Rolling platforms for large lathes.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    https://www.jettoolstore.com/product...0aAg_7EALw_wcB

I bought one of these and made a 4' x4' work table on top of it. Since it goes up and down, I use it as a table to sit at to assemble segmented turning rings. I can get the height any where I need it. I also use it for an out feed table on the table saw and band saw while ripping. It will also go under the Powermatic 4224 and will lift it off the ground to reposition it in the shop. This is the most versatile piece of equipment I have in the shop. If I ever need to remove a leg of the lathe for disassemble, it will do that. The lathe weights 900.bs and the lift on this table is 1650. Cost more that a set of wheels, but it will do more. Good luck.

I used carrymaster casters please see link

http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm

Further you need to consider what load bearing capacity you need and note the capacity for moving is half the static capacity of the casters

Also you may find the best price on e bay

regards Brian

Blog Entries
    Lots of ideas to think about. Thanks guys.
    Gregory, I'd never thought of lifting at the bed. Great idea and a very handy piece to have around.

I also use leveling casters. The drawback for me is that it's not the easiest thing for me to get down on the floor to turn the sprockets that extends the casters.

So it depends on your spryness and how often you want to move the lathe.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I also use leveling casters. The drawback for me is that it's not the easiest thing for me to get down on the floor to turn the sprockets that extends the casters.

So it depends on your spryness and how often you want to move the lathe.
    +1

Plus it raises the lathe 2"-3" (which I don't need).
    I always forget which way to turn the leveler wheel.

Mike

Blog Entries
    While searching for a good corded chainsaw today (have a variety of big box stores), I decided to pick up some furniture moving disks just for the heck of it. Haven't decided yet which way to go for a permanent way of moving my lathe.
    I put one under all 4 legs and could easily slide my lathe over to the overhead door of my garage, about 15' away. What a thrill to be able to turn again.
    I placed a 30" pedistal fan directly behind me and went to work. No dust, nice cool breeze coming in from the walk-in door in back.
    I really was amazed at how easily I could move it around, and my garage floor is in bad shape.
    Will they hold up? Probably not. But they worked tonight.