Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what are the odds????

Blog Entries
    A penny from 1858 would be a Indian, and quite old. I'd call it a keeper...
    An 1858 penny would actually be a flying eagle:

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 9.02.16 AM.png

1859 was the first year of the Indian head penny series. There was some comments about how the image had a remarkable resemblance to the mint's chief engraver, James Longacre's, daughter.

If one is really picky, the United States has never had a coin legally designated as a penny. It has always been the cent. It is just called a penny due to our British heritage.

My guess about getting three same date 'obsolete' coins in change is someone likely traded in a roll of pennies from a coin collection. This happens often when someone squirreled away a few rolls or someone dies and family members spend the collection.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-28-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: corrected quote
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Growing up in Maine in the 50's and 60's the generic term for all carbonated drinks was tonic. Went to basic training at Lackland in San Antonio in 66 and asked where the tonic machine was. Got a lot of blank faced stares. That was the first time I learned most of the US called it soda.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME