Thread: Yankee gutters and flat roofs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yankee gutters and flat roofs

Back part of the House has a flat roof and no gutter on that roof because the heating system for the upstairs( which was installed Decades ago) , has the duct work too close to the roof edges. Insulated with a ton of insulation in the attic and had the pipes wrapped and taped. Recently, had the outside dug up and exterior drainage installed. That is about a Foot or so down. There is also another underground drainage at footer level. So, 2 drain tile systems..

The contractor installed about a 10 ft section of L shaped Aluminum on the Flat roof over where the Bilco door is located, so that water would not pour on the Bilco Door.

That L shaped aluminum is working great!! Keeps the water from pouring onto the Bilco door like water going over Niagara Falls !!

Now, the problem.

Heavy rain tonight, and I went into the Basement to check things out. Noticed about 4 pin hole leaks on the Basement wall, Flat roof side. I can paint over them with Drylok, but then there is the 5th leak. More like you turning on the faucet and letting it blast out !! That is in a section of basement wall that has bowed out . The old paint they must have done years ago, got pushed out of the wall about 3 inches. It's about a 2 foot by 3 foot section that needs to be ripped out and repaired.

What I would like to know, is given the fact that traditional gutters have been installed before with disastrous results, ( Flat roof caved in through the attic and crashed through the upstairs ceiling during the Winter. The direct cause was due to 2 FT of ICE build up ) ; could that L shaped metal be extended all the way over to the side of the roof where the old Gutter downspout is located? Thereby letting the water drain through that ? The way it is now, not much ice builds up on the small L piece . But, it is big enough to carry water runoff from that section of the flat roof.
    Last edited by Clarence Martinn; 08-23-2017 at 12:14 PM.