Thread: Dust collection question

Dust collection question

I am looking at getting an Oneida Dust Deputy and using it in my shop.

Currently I am in my garage, rolling anything outside I want to use. I want to use the DD with my 2hp HF collector. I am hoping I can set up a hosing system that goes from the dust/chip generator (saw, sander, planer, etc...) to the DD, then to the blower only with a hose that goes outside. My hope is the DD will collect everything except the finest particles that will then pass through the blower and be ok to release outside.

Any thoughts on if this will work or not?

Ask Oneida - they have very good customer service and can advise you regarding requirements for good dust control given your circumstances.

What you describe will work. Ideally, you want your hoses as short as possible, so consider a wheeled cart for both the DC and the SDD so it goes where the tool of the moment is.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome to the dust collection vortex (pun intended!). Required reading is Bill Pentz, plus educational materials at Oneida and, of course, this forum. I have a 2HP Delta with a SDD. It is currently on wheels so I can get it close to whatever tool it is servicing. The SDD is a great addition to a single stage collector. You'll be amazed how little dust ends up in the bag. If you're looking to really improve air quality, consider getting a Wynn filter to replace the cloth filter I assume your HF unit has.

As Jim said, the less hose you use, the better, because the hose is not smooth inside, which increases friction, leading to reduced airflow. Bends in the hose also contribute to this. You'd be surprised how much airflow you can lose just by adding a little bit of length to your hoses.

The SDD has a 5" inlet, so make sure to get 5" hose. Don't reduce to 4" right at the cyclone - do it at the tool. 5" hose will allow for MUCH more CFM than a 4" hose, even if you reduce to 4" at some point. 5" hose and fittings cost more, and you'll need at least one reducer, but don't be tempted to stick with 4" hose, especially if you're looking to get the finer dust.

If you can, make as much of your setup out of metal pipe (smooth inside = more CFM). HVAC suppliers often have this or, for 2HP, Home Depot ducting will do. Some people like PVC as well, but I think 5" is often hard to find.

I hope this isn't too much information. I recently bought a shop full of metal ductwork, so the information is fresh in my head.