Thread: Ancient Tools - Divider & Compass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've used the 345 trick like Stanley mentioned for laying out square foundation lines for farm buildings and fence corners using three wooden stakes and some baling twine. Basically you can just take a string as long as the side you want to reference off of, fold it into 3 or 4 segments (as is convenient.. depending on clearance/length of the other side) and then use that to measure the other two sides of the triangle. You can of course use any multiple of those numbers (6,8,10 or 9, 12, 15 for instance).

I would second that all of the Clickspring videos are quite good but I especially enjoy his tooling ones and the recent batch with the Antikythera repro he's been doing a good handful of what might be termed more "primitive" (or less heavily tooled anyway) techniques that I think are really relevant to a lot of folks here interests. I know at least one person is using a copy of his "jam vise" for a stitching pony (for stitching leather).

Guess I don't have to make one...now
    IMG_1983 (640x480).jpg
    6" dividers, and an Inside caliper...$5 each, today.

These will go well with a $0.50 item I got a few weeks ago..
    IMG_1982 (640x480).jpg
    Just about the same size. Works for me...

And....to "complete the set"....picked this little fellow up today..
    IMG_1986 (640x480).jpg
    Even came with a pencil! Between a contractor pack of 180 grit sandpaper, and these three tools
    IMG_1984 (640x480).jpg
    Spent $5 this morning at a Barn Sale...