Thread: Wheels for standalone (sharpening) cabinet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the info, folks. I think I've arrived at not putting casters on the cabinet. I went to HD yesterday and fondled some (apparent decent quality) locking casters. I believe the locking mechanism would work well but I confirmed there's some rock on the pivoting axle. When locked, the wheel wouldn't roll or rotate, but the bearing seats have enough space that I could rock the mounting plate while holding the wheel portion stable. If I had something really heavy on them I'd think it'd be OK but I'll have a relatively light object on them. Ultimately, I foresee the rocking motion involved in sharpening causing the whole cabinet to rock (albeit slightly) on the bearings. A higher-end wheel (those Lee Valley ones look good) may be the winning ticket but at $80 I don't think it's worth it for my purposes.
    In the end, I don't foresee having a need to move the cabinet at all - much less on a regular basis. My (moderate) compromise will be to mount the kick to the cabinet bottom (as opposed to wall/floor) and secure the cabinet to the wall for stability. If the need to move it arises, I should be able to remove a few screws and move the whole thing.

Again, thanks for helping me navigate the decision. You're all good enablers (on my tendency to over-engineer).

How about a mobile machine base? I have one like this https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Mo...ywords=htc2000 on a shop machine or two, my wife's big, industrial sewing machine and a drying rack I use for cabinet doors/drawer fronts. Very stable but still mobile and reasonably prices IMO.