Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheels for standalone (sharpening) cabinet

Home Depot sells 3, 4, & 5” locking casters. I’ve used them on several mobile carts and had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hyman View Post
    Home Depot sells 3, 4, & 5” locking casters. I’ve used them on several mobile carts and had no issues.
    What I haven't found at HD is double-locking (locks both roll and swivel) which I do prefer on things that truly need to remain stationary, but perhaps I missed them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ditto on what Jim said. You want double-locking casters, which I've never seen at Home Depot. But even then, they seem to move a little bit. I found some at Woodcraft. They're nice, but they still wiggle a little (enough that it would drive me nuts for hand sharpening).

I really like the idea of the "wheel barrow" approach that Prashun mentioned. Put two non-swivel casters on one side of the cabinet, set just barely above the floor level and cantilevered off the back of the cabinet, so that you can lean the cabinet back a few degrees to get it resting on the wheels. That way the cabinet is always solidly resting on the floor when in use.

But even then, with a 24" x 24" base cabinet with a grinder on top, I think you'll find it a bit tippy for this use. So KISS would dictate that your plan to screw it to the osb wall is probably best, especially if you don't plan to move it often.