Thread: Applying Watco Butcher Block Oil - does this sound right?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PLEASE IGNORE THE FOLLOWING. I am writing about a different product . Sorry!

Applying Watco should be as easy as applying mineral oil - easier, as it is not to thick. Wipe it on with a rag - or pour it on then wipe off. The key is not to let it sit for too long (15 minutes is pushing the limit) before you wipe off the excess. You should be left with a sealed top with no puddles. You can add multiple coats depending on the porosity of the wood. There is a point of saturation at which more finish is just laying on itself and Watco as a penetrating oil serves no purpose laying on itself - it will just remain soft and sticky.

Watco would not be my 1st choice as a cutting board oil. It is not food compatible. Makes a great finish on lots of projects that do not require a hard film for protection but I think there are better choices for food prep surfaces than a mineral spirits based oil. If you intend to keep with the Watco in this case - wipe off the surface with mineral spirits to remove most of the residue - sand well to take off the rest and return to a nice smooth wood surface (with just a hint of oil having penetrated) and then reapply with light wipe on coats. For sanding WATCO and other finishes I highly recommend Mirka Abranet sanding screens - minimal clog - compared to any other sanding products I have ever used - and excellent surface prep.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 10-03-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: PLEASE IGNORE
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge