Thread: BB Gun Range Targets

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My grandfather made a bb gun trap for us to shoot at in the basement of his house. I am having a hard time trying to describe it, but think of it as a sandwich - a plywood backing board, over that a U shaped frame of strips of wood 3/4" - 1" wide and maybe 3/8" thick, along the bottom and sides, with the top open. Into the space created by that went a bunch of folded newspaper, which would trap the bb's. Over that a layer of cardboard to hold the target, and over that another U shaped open top frame. It was all held together by a couple of bolts which came from the back through the U frames and secured with wingnuts in front.

The bb' s would expend most of their energy going through the paper, and put a dent in the plywood back, then fall down to the bottom or remain suspended in the paper. The open space in the top allowed changing the newspaper from time to time, retrieving the spent bb's, and when the cardboard is worn out, just unscrew the wingnuts, lift off the outermost U frame, install fresh cardboard (have to punch holes for the bolts to go through), replace the outer frame and wingnusts, and your good for a few more rounds. I hope this makes sense, wish I could draw better.

He just had an old Daisy air rifle, if your scouts are using higher power guns, you may need to allow room for more newspaper, but you shouldn't need a metal plate unless they are shooting high power pellet guns.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 10-05-2017 at 12:53 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome