Thread: so what were YOU doing at quarter to 1am last night?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    The bonus advantage is having a turnkey business, with value beyond the sum of its parts, that can be sold down the road.
    I was at bar with some friends in business, two sisters that have a business that they have owned for 30 years, and a guy who was a business advisor. He asked them "So what's the plan when you retire, what will you do with the business" and they said "Lock the doors, walk away, and enjoy life". He was stunned. He explained that their business had great value, and that they had spent 30 years building this business and couldn't understand how they'd just close it and lose revenue. He worked with them to setup the business so that it was attractive to a buyer, so when they walked out, they could lock the door, but they'd have a big fat check in their hands too. They haven't retired yet, but they are close. Great point, I thought.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I was at bar with some friends in business, two sisters that have a business that they have owned for 30 years, and a guy who was a business advisor. He asked them "So what's the plan when you retire, what will you do with the business" and they said "Lock the doors, walk away, and enjoy life". He was stunned. He explained that their business had great value, and that they had spent 30 years building this business and couldn't understand how they'd just close it and lose revenue. He worked with them to setup the business so that it was attractive to a buyer, so when they walked out, they could lock the door, but they'd have a big fat check in their hands too. They haven't retired yet, but they are close. Great point, I thought.
    I think so too.

Let's see, the night/morning of the 26th... I stayed up and finished running a government job. At $500/hr, it was worth losing a bit of sleep. I'm happy with the paycheck, the customer is happy for the overnight turn-around.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC