Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First chess Piece - Critiques Please

First chess Piece - Critiques Please

Howdy,
    I've decided to go ahead and try a chess set. I've spent the last week trying to come up with a tasteful design and made some sketches. Finally, I decided to make a piece out of scrap so I could take a look and feel it, etc. There's just something about it that seems....well...just plain wrong. I would like to throw it up to the committee, whom I respect.

So tell me...What's wrong with this picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I started making some chess pieces some time ago and also had some of the same feelings about my turnings - something just doesn't look right. I would offer up two possibilities but, it may just be a matter of personal preference.
    1) The cross on top needs to have more of an undercut where it meets the head. I would think that this would make the crown on the king stand a bit prouder.
    2) Either the head has too small a diameter or the neck underneath is too thick. I am not sure which but it may be worth another sample to see which you prefer.
    Hope this helps,
    Steve

Hay John,
    I was about to turn down the rheostat on this thing when I saw your post.
    Being right up front, I don't know a thing about chess, other than what I just noted in the last post. I guess it's a king?? My only comment is the cross on the top looks like its put on with clay, or something. Needs some fixing.
    I personally always found it easier to make checkers.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with Steve about the cross. The flair above the foot looks too wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Loy, that is really some great observation, I didn't even know it had feet.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>

Thanks guys...Yeah...I hate the cross. I figured that I should just cut it off for the picture...but that would be dishonest. I think I need to grind a special tool for that puppy.

What if I scrapped the bulging center and just had an elegant flow down from the neck to the foot? (Yes Bill...it has a neck too!)

Maybe checkers is a good idea.
    ~john

Hi John,

It looks OK to me, maybe the cross could be more refined. There is an article about 2 issues back in American Woodturner on chess pieces. Let me know if you haven't seen it and if not, then I will try to scan it and email it to you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Hi John,

It looks OK to me, maybe the cross could be more refined. There is an article about 2 issues back in American Woodturner on chess pieces. Let me know if you haven't seen it and if not, then I will try to scan it and email it to you. Good luck!
    Yeah Chris...I'd be very interested. I've looked at pictures of some of the great turners works....but I don't want to copy anyone. Methodology insights would be very helpful. I'm kinda winging this. Thanks!
    ~john

I would have made the crown a bit wider and the apron (base of the king) a little narrower
    Nice effort for first try though.
    Do the knights first. After that, every thing is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Loy Hawes
    The flair above the foot looks too wide.
    Not that it's awful but this was My first thought too...
    I love chess.
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I'm definitely hearing here that I need to "slender" this thing down and I wholeheartedly agree. I think I'll try several designs and post them. I also realized that I need to mount these on the lathe differently so I have better access to the tops. Might have to manufacture a special faceplate that has a mandrel built in. Jamming with the tailstock makes manuverability difficult. Thanks for your help everyone!
    ~john

John, you know I love your work. The main reason is the it is NOT mundane.

Besides the minor adjustments of the cross and feet, etc., My feel is that the piece has little or no flair. I'm having the same trouble making a chess set for my son. I, too, believe that tall and slender will give you a more elegant piece.

Bruce

Loy pointed out what my eyes see...a bit stout "down there". Otherwise...beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can't say much about what it should look like but your turning skills really show. Can't wait to see more.

That design might look better on the queen. First thing that hit my eye was a dress. A little more definition of the cross would be good. Would probably make it very delicate though. I really dont feel I am anywhere near qualified to critique others work and usually dont but that one kind of grabbed my eye. Just a thought.