Thread: What is stressing a joint?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is stressing a joint?

Glueing up some end grain cutting boards for some gifts and was wondering what actually is considered stressing a joint. The boards I am making have some alternating 1/2 strips around the smaller main board. I glue and clamp two sides and then trim the overhang on the table saw. I have been waiting overnight to trim them but was wondering if I could speed this up since I am running out of time. The pieces fit good, no large gaps I am trying close with the clamps, so I was thinking an hour maybe two clamp time should be fine. I am in Florida and the temp is low 70's. Thanks for any thoughts.

TS cutting after an hour or two is fine IMO. Going By the glue squeeze out is a way to go, if cured go for it. If still soft wait.

I, also, have done cutting operations after an hour or so of clamp time with no problems. But I would not do anything that puts a new joint in any significant bending or tension for about 24 hours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Huston View Post
    The boards I am making have some alternating 1/2 strips around the smaller main board.
    I a little confused, are you gluing these thin strips on the sides and also on the ends of your cutting boards? If you are you are likely to have problems with pieces glued across the grain of your center board. Glue joint or wood failure is likely to occur.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-22-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David Huston View Post
    The boards I am making have some alternating 1/2 strips around the smaller main board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I a little confused, are you gluing these thin strips on the sides and also on the ends of your cutting boards? If you are you are likely to have problems with pieces glued across the grain of your center board. Glue joint or wood failure is likely to occur.
    That caught my eye, also. OP, are you gluing strips cross-grain to your end-grain main panel? That could cause problems like Lee says.