This thing is so old, I had to stop in the middle of typing this thread because I realized the Neander forum is probably not the correct place.
IMG_5500.jpg
I've been getting by just fine with my Taiwan-made benchtop drill press but I always figured I'd upgrade at some point. Saw this thing at a garage sale for a cheap price and figured I'd better snag it since I don't seem to run across such machines very often. I'll have to buy or build a cart/stand for it because this thing is not exactly portable like the little benchtop models. Apparently the original engineers designed these things to not only drill holes but also to anchor cargo ships or something. But that's another story.

I found a manual online to see where the lubrication points were and there is some info in forums on taking apart/restoring these things but I figured some wiser-than-I woodworkers here might have some advice on modifications, maintenance, etc. I played around with it last night and it all seems to function just fine but I'm far from an expert on old machines like this.

One thing I was about to do but figured I'd better wait and ask about first is clean up the post. It's got a little bit of surface rust on it and the table doesn't slide up and down easily. There are a few sections where it does slide easily and then some spots where it appears to get stuck. Should I do a little sanding to make the post smoother or is it a no-no to use abrasives on that part due to the necessarily-tight fit between the table clamp and post?

The other big concern I have is buying or building a cart for it. It'd be good practice to build one (I am trying to learn woodworking afterall, right?) but I don't want to spend a lot of time (I am a beginner so this stuff still takes me a long time) making a mortise-and-tenon/frame-and-panel contraption. Usually when I think quick and functional appliance I think plywood and pocket hole screws. But this thing probably weighs around 150 lbs with the motor, and it is quite top-heavy. Since my main aspiration has been to learn hand tool woodworking I must admit my knowledge of less "traditional" construction methods is lacking. Would 3/4" plywood and pocket screws or dowels be strong and rigid enough for something like this or should I be safe and make a frame with 2x4's and Neanderthal joinery? What would you folks recommend as the easiest, quickest methods to make a sturdy and stable cart?