Thread: Need help with VFD for stroke sander

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Get in touch with Jack as Mike K mentioned. He is a member here.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I will never buy another Teco.

I have been buying Fuji's. Nice drives, great price point.

I bought a Powtran P19000 series VFD for my 5hp CV-Max. Specifically P19130A 004G1 for $170 +$70 shipping through Alibaba but you can buy direct. It took about 2 weeks to arrive. It's the same one the Aussies sell with their Clear-Vue cyclones to boost their 50 cycle to 60 cycle to match our airflows.

http://powtran.com/en-us/product/show-2196.aspx

I don't know if many VFD's have the auto cooling fan shutoff capability, like with Jack Forsberg's specified design, apart from the Isacon/askpower drive.
    For me, a fan running all the time for something other than a machine that I would be using in long runs would be annoying...especially if you know another brand inverter exists
    with this tech.
    I swapped the Huanyang drive on my bandsaw, over to the tablesaw, because the bandsaw for me is a go to often machine and is running with an Isacon/Askpower drive.
    Jacks VFD's would have a hefty shipping fee to Ireland.

Another consideration on VFD choice is depending if the motor is dual voltage or not, meaning designed to run off 220 volt (three phase) and a higher voltage 380 or 400 volt also
    Newer VFD's are out now to power fixed star wound motors...high voltage only "star" wound with a Y symbol, not low voltage "delta" 220 with a triangle symbol.
    The newer VFD's suitable for fixed star wound motors are a bit pricier by half.

Jaromir
    How do I connect vfd to my 220 outlet?

A hefty "4 core" wire coming from the motor
    Three hot wires from your motor plus an earth wire, the earth gets paired with the other earth from your 220 household supply.
    Ideally you want a dust shroud, which is either mounted inside a machine if suitable conditions for the inverter to live apply,
    or a metal box mounted close to the machine, or mounted on a wall...the VFD needs a bit of space around it.
    Good practice would be to bolt both these earth wires to the VFD cabinet or machine, with a single short earth wire stacked along with them going to earth terminal.

Three hots from your motor go to the three output terminals. if the machine runs backwards swap any two of those wires.
    The input supply live and neutral go into either of the input terminals.

Get some crimp connectors for the job, cheap as a box of matches
    You might want to get cable glands for the box to make it dust proof and lessen the chance of any damage.

Three important rules with these VFD's/inverter/AC drives should be heeded !

1. Make sure the VFD has powered down before going near any input or output terminals...
    These things have large capacitors that hold a charge for some time afterwards! .

2. Make sure not to put a plug inbetween the motor and the VFD, as it could damage the VFD if unplugged if running! .

3. Make sure you have entered the correct values (parameters) for your motor before you hit run,
    as these VFD's could have a factory setting default at eight times the speed which your motor should be running!
    So its important to enter the RPM correctly, aswell as the motor pole number.. relating to the motor running speed being either roughly@ 1750 RPM(ish) for a 4 pole motor
    and 3000 RPM(ish) for a 2 pole motor.

Tom

The closer to the

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    I don't know if many VFD's have the auto cooling fan shutoff capability, like with Jack Forsberg's specified design, apart from the Isacon/askpower drive.
    For me, a fan running all the time for something other than a machine that I would be using in long runs would be annoying...especially if you know another brand inverter exists
    with this tech.
    Tom, it seems like all the "cheap" VFD's I've seen have only run the fan when they need cooling. I don't recall having seen any drives where the fan runs constantly...