Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Gloat that warms the heart

A Gloat that warms the heart

and other body parts!

My wife decided she didn't want another month of super high electric bills so she gave me my Christmas present early!

Late yesterday afternoon I got a call. I quickly drove to HD and got a single outlet with one plugin and a gallon of PVA. I drove home; installed the outlet: caulked some gaps. This morning about 6:00 I quickly painted PVA on the corner where the furnace was going. As of about 3:00 pm today my shop and I are the proud owners of a Lennox 75000 btu natural gas furnace! It keeps it toasty warm so far! And unlike those 2 little 1500 watt electric heaters I was using, this thing cylces on.......then off..........and when necessary it repeats the process.

An aging man likes warmth!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-07-2005 at 11:30 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken great gloat. Nothing like heat for the old bones. Enjoy and make some sawdust now.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

WOW Ken, that's twice the output of my propane Empire space heater and mine can generate a lot of heat

You are going to be really warm (but, with the cost of energy these days, but I hope not broke ).

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I can't figure out why I am unable to post a photo. It's a jpg file at 47kb.........shouldn't be a problem? It say it is in the process of attaching but when I close the window it isn't there? Help!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-07-2005 at 10:38 PM.
    Ken

Nice to be Toasty, ain't it, Ken.

Just GOT TO LOVE these gals we married!

Bruce

GRRR I`m Jealous! I too have 2 1500 watt heaters and since it`s been single digit down to -7 I have not been in the shop fpr a week.
    Glad to see you got your problem in hand.

We're not at negative single digits yet but we've had some teens. Those poor little heater weren't shutting off very often. But they kept the shop warm enough I've worked out there everyday this week in short sleeves.

I'll post photos as soon as I can find out why the upload fails.....Grrrrrr
    Ken

Wow Ken, that should be enough Btu's to create sauna conditions.

I can't help it, I just get tingles all over when I walk into my 24/7 heated shop in this weather after the brisk 30 second walk from the house with snow crunching under each footstep. Heat is so good - till summertime.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Good Choice....

Work has not been going very quickly on my end. Last night, I had to go out and tap the thermometer.... Did I really read this right?

T W E N T Y D E G R E E S B E L O W Z E R O (F).........

Now I like a tad of snow like everyone else, but this is ridiculous... I have body parts freezing i didnt know existed!

So I gather that these two 1500 watt electric heaters were forcing the old electric bill up. Mind I ask how much? Just wondering. I am using my two right now to take the chill off my mother's room. Being an older person, they like it a bit warmer.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Finally the proof!

Dev,

Near as we can figure just using them for a couple of weeks last month increased our electric bill by over $50. But they weren't on all month and it wasn't really that cold last month.

Here's the proof!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-08-2005 at 11:01 AM.
    Ken

75K???? Yup, that oughta' keep you nice and toasty!!! Hey, if you don't already, I'll bet that puppy has the ability for an external thermostat. I put one on my Hot Dawg with the programmable stuff on it. Works super! Cranks back at night, kicks on about the same time I leave work, so by the time I get home and get in the shop, it's nice and toasty! Congrats.... Definitely a worthy gloat!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks for the posting help John! Yup...it should stay warm.....I actually turned the temperature down last night because with the btu capability it has, it doesnt' take it long to warm the entire shop up. With the electric heaters I've been using for the past month .....they worked their little "heaters" off just to maintain a constant temperature. I have a thermostat....not a programmable one but I'll install one in the near future. I'm actually pretty warm-blooded. My neighbors can't believe I run around in t-shirts outside when they are wearing light jackets.

Now back to mudding.......Yes Frank...I should have listened!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-08-2005 at 11:02 AM.
    Ken

Price of Electricity

A year ago we were paying about $0.075 per Kwhr for Juice. Last month with the new fuel adjustment it was $0.135. We heat the house (condo) with electrity. I may have to turn of my computer to keep the electric bill manageable.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I am sure you will enjoy that heater. I installed mine a couple of months ago to replace the old thru the wall heater I had for about 15 years. I like having it up and out of the way. I was able to use my old thermostat so that is nice.

Mine is LPG not natural gas.

Glad you got it before Christmas Day!

When we built our shop 3 years ago, I bought a Hot Dawg, propane. I use tanks since running a gas line was too costly. I love it!! I did put in a programable thermostat so the it will shut back to 50* at 10 pm each night in case I forget to do that. As a hobbist, I am not in the shop everyday. Once, the first winter I had the shop, I left the heat on for 4 days Hence the reason for the programable thermostat. I feel badly for those that do not have a warm shop to work in. I am glad Ken can be warm while enjoying his work.

John
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic