Thread: Twice Turned Platter?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I usually don’t have so much warping that I do loose anything from the size of the blank as it was rough turned to, except for the shrinking of the width of the wood, to keep the crotch figure you have no choice but to cut right at the centreline, like the platter with the feather here, there is another one from other side of the pith.

And pretty well al my platters are from slabs cut next to the center, what does help some is turning a higher rim when rough turning, it does give the wood a lot more strength to resist the warping while drying.

As I have been doing a bunch of platters (for setting up reasons) I have several finished but have a few that I might return still, or not and place them back to do another time, so I made a couple of pictures of what I’ve done so-far and what is still to be done.

19%22 Siberian Elm.jpg 18.5%22 Maple crotch platter.jpg

Just mounted for picture making, and some that will have to be returned yet.

The 22” rough turned platters have about a ⅜” higher edge against the lowest part of it, something there is plenty of wood for to deal with when flattening when returning them.

18.5%22 Elm platter finished.jpg 22%22 platters to be returned.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-31-2019 at 3:58 PM.
    Have fun and take care