Thread: Johnson 48" BigX level

Johnson 48" BigX level

Does anyone have an opinion on the Johnson 48" BigX level that's on Amazon for $20?

I was looking at HD's site for levels during their 25% off sale and was wondering what to look for.

I bought one after reading this deal. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27086 Not sure if it still all works but that was too good a deal to pass up. The level arrived and seems to be a decent unit. All aluminum body with recessed center section. The tape and knife are backordered but they won't charge it till they ship it so that works out OK. For the deal, you really can't go wrong.

I also jumped on the deal when it was mentioned here a couple of weeks ago, and the level seems to me well-made and stout. I bought it mostly as a 4' straightedge, and so far only used it to check the wheels on a bandsaw to confirm they were coplanar. For $20, I didn't figure I could go wrong. So far, no problems whatsoever.

- Vaughn

I also purchased that level with the freebies. It seems to be a decent level for the money, especially with the extras. However, Home Depot sells (for $35) another version of this level that includes one milled face for accuracy and it also has two rubber molded center hand "holes". The Amazon special version has neither of these options.

If I were looking for a 4 ft straight edge I would be inclined to get the one with the milled face.

Jay

Great level--rugged. With the wood core 48" levels at twice the price, this was a no-brainer. The 25 ft' tape and tape holster arrived today--looks great--Folding utility knife comes in January.

ALL for $20--including shipping!

BILL FIELDS

PS: see my continued thread on the HF jointer--picked it Sunday.

BF

I also picked it up, more for the tape measure as I don't need a level. The level will go to my son who doesn't have a decent one. I took a look at it and it's okay, especially for $20, I like my old one better though.

Got mine

I received my level last week and just got the tape measure tonight. It's pretty nice but don't know if I'll be able to get used to a plastic case tape. I've grown so accustomed to my metal-cased Stanley over the years.

The knife still hasn't show up yet.