Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Art For Our Home

Collecting Art For Our Home

When we were at Sam Maloof's a few weeks ago, he had a display of hollow vessels, vases and other wonderful pieces that he was collecting. Also he had many fine ceramic pieces such as the Mata Ortiz pottery I posted in the Design Forum. My wife and I have been collecting Museum quality pre Columbian Art from our travels for 30 years and I will soon be displaying it in cases that I will make in the home. These will be glass and steel and wood with great lighting.

I was thinking of having a section with fine wood turned objects from some of my friends at SMC. These would remain in our permantley displayed collection , in our home , Guest house and Studio. Identification of each artist will remain with each piece. Our home has been published in several magazines since it was constructed and is visted by oter artists, architects, collectors and museum directors on a regular basis. So the art work will be seen by many and could lead to other contacts and perhaps sales.
    I know that many of the objects that each of you make are personal and for your own enjoyment and use. I know the feeling and I rarely make furniture for others, these days.....I have in te past, but I have been busy and my shop is full of personal projects. I described our situation so you would be assured your art would reside in a place where it is safe and will be enjoyed by many...
    If your work is available for purchase, let me know , so I will not be embarresed to ask if I see an object I love on a Thread at SMC and it happens quite often! Thank you!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I'd sell my brother if someone offered me a buck for him! LOL Oh, but you did specify "fine" wood turned objects...oh well, maybe a few years from now.
    Mark, I have a question. I am debating about display lighting as I am starting to build a little collection of pieces from other turners. What sort of lighting should be used in cabinets so that the heat and light will have the least effect on the wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    I'd sell my brother if someone offered me a buck for him! LOL Oh, but you did specify "fine" wood turned objects...oh well, maybe a few years from now.
    Mark, I have a question. I am debating about display lighting as I am starting to build a little collection of pieces from other turners. What sort of lighting should be used in cabinets so that the heat and light will have the least effect on the wood?
    First of all your work is terrific and I would love to have some of it displayed...If you post someting that catches my eye I will PM you,

The display case should have venting holes...the best lighting would be halogen, though hot...it is a whitr light. It shouldn't matter of the piece is dry...if it was turn green and out of round...not a problem..
    Fluorescent and xenon would also be good. If you are showing the sillouette , ligt the backdrop. You can have 2 sources one also on the piece. Flourescent is available in a warm wave length.....like incandescent.

Thanks, Mark. Another question: what about woods that tend to change when exposed to light, like Box Elder? Would certain types of lighting delay/accelerate that process? Right now I have pieces displayed in a nice mahogany corner cupboard that has flourescent lighting. Have no clue what the wave length is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    Thanks, Mark. Another question: what about woods that tend to change when exposed to light, like Box Elder? Would certain types of lighting delay/accelerate that process? Right now I have pieces displayed in a nice mahogany corner cupboard that has flourescent lighting. Have no clue what the wave length is.
    They will change any way. ulta violet is everywhere and i think as a woodworker you need to plan on the final patina....paduck browm....mahogany darker and red...etc...

Mark, I'm a lover of displaying "real art" in the home and am glad you're going to add even more to your wonderful environment. One of the nice things about your architecture is that is really lends itself to displaying art and other interesting objects.

I hope I someday can create something worthy of such an environment!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark,

I could always send you a Dennis Peacock Original.!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mark, do you have any links to pics or articles about your home? I'm now intrigued.
    Experience is knowledge gained, right after you needed it.

After I sold the first piece, I never had a problem with selling any other piece I've turned. I am interested in seeing the articles.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I am the proud owner of some fine works of art by Dennis Peacock, John Millinus, Dick Parr and spin doctor Ken Salisbury all signed and in a place of honor.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Sheesh...Are you kidding Mark? I'd pay YOU! If you ever saw anything I made that was worthy of display in your home...I'd sell Carole's brother to get it in there!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Sheesh...Are you kidding Mark? I'd pay YOU! If you ever saw anything I made that was worthy of display in your home...I'd sell Carole's brother to get it in there!
    What does Caole's broter look like....I will start making a pedistal for him

How much money you got Mark?

Everythigng I have is for sale. Problem is it ain't worth much. You are welcome to anything I have.

Dave Smith

One wake up then leaving for Hawaii in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Overman
    After I sold the first piece, I never had a problem with selling any other piece I've turned. I am interested in seeing the articles.
    Here is a link:..Some are older articles...

http://marksingerarchitects.com/

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tern+interiors

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18618

Why stop with Carole's brother? Let's get rid of her at the same time and save on shipping charges
    Only the Blue Roads