Thread: recommendation for band saw purchase

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    +1 on no smaller than 17" wheels. That gives you the capability to run carbide tipped blades like the Lenox TriMaster which is a game changer for resawing. A 17" saw really doesn't have a larger footprint if space is a concern and the additional throat depth never hurts. IMO any of the Grizzly 0513 series are a great value if you are not a brand snob (we have 2 in a college shop and have never had problems with them).
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

I find I have used my bandsaws mostly for smaller work so if you get into to a large saw they don't work the best for smaller blades and things so a smaller to mid size saw is best if you only are going to have one saw as if you don't do a lot of re-sawing a smaller to mid size saw can do it all.
    One of the mid size Laguna's would be my vote....
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I bought a MM16 in 2005 and the only regret I have is I can't run a carbide TriMaster blade on it. I had one break on me after maybe a couple of hours of use, ouch! I'm a hobbyist so the price premium for new equipment is usually more than i'm willing to pay. I prefer to buy a better quality used machine then a shinny new one that i'm disappointed with. If you do any amount of woodworking you will realize the advantage of having two band saws one set up for ripping, resawing and a smaller one with a narrow blade for curves. I bought a 14" delta off craigslist for $150.00 that i keep a 1/4" blade on all the time. Keep a lookout for a used saw or two. I have seen 20" Deltas going for around $1000.00 or less in my neck of the woods.

When starting out there are so many tools and supplies you need. It's important to not blow your entire budget on one tool and then not have the funds for another you need. That's a lesson I learned the hard way. Also, when buying used if you are not satisfied with a purchase just turn around and sell it. I have done this a couple of time and have even made a few bucks on some sales.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Micalizzi View Post
    I bought a MM16 in 2005 and the only regret I have is I can't run a carbide TriMaster blade on it. I had one break on me after maybe a couple of hours of use, ouch! I'm a hobbyist so the price premium for new equipment is usually more than i'm willing to pay. I prefer to buy a better quality used machine then a shinny new one that i'm disappointed with. If you do any amount of woodworking you will realize the advantage of having two band saws one set up for ripping, resawing and a smaller one with a narrow blade for curves. I bought a 14" delta off craigslist for $150.00 that i keep a 1/4" blade on all the time. Keep a lookout for a used saw or two. I have seen 20" Deltas going for around $1000.00 or less in my neck of the woods.

When starting out there are so many tools and supplies you need. It's important to not blow your entire budget on one tool and then not have the funds for another you need. That's a lesson I learned the hard way. Also, when buying used if you are not satisfied with a purchase just turn around and sell it. I have done this a couple of time and have even made a few bucks on some sales.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Regards,

Dave
    Maybe you just got a bad blade, David. Lots of folks run 0.035" gage TriMaster (and Woodmaster CT) blades on a MM16 w/o issue. And I completely agree with your recommendation to have two BS's.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Maybe you just got a bad blade, David. Lots of folks run 0.035" gage TriMaster (and Woodmaster CT) blades on a MM16 w/o issue. And I completely agree with your recommendation to have two BS's.

John
    I have heard that many run TriMasters with no issue on MM16s. Maybe I did get a bad one. Manufactures do recommend wheels 18" or larger for carbide so it does make me a little squeamish. I heard Lenox reformulated their band so the TriMaster could be used on smaller wheel saws but I don't know this for sure. Maybe I should give it a try again that was one sweet blade when it worked.

David

Totally agree with you David
    95% of folks expect a small machine to do all sorts of stuff, with the mindset of...
    If it has that much resaw height under the guides, then it must be capable of doing so, if one is patient like I am.

No one told them that it IS capable of cutting at that maximum depth, but not for cutting timber, for cutting foam insulation.

Therefore you have a huge variety of curve cutting machines that people are trying to flip all the time,
    And they will do the very same mistake again, their expectations will be high, and they will be fooled by the marketing
    because they're thinking with their wallet instead of their brain.

If you think this or that is capable because you seen this review, I suggest you watch the promotional video closer again.
    What you won't see is a cut from start to finish in REAL TIME without some 90's easy going cheesy sax music that makes your brain shut off

You only get to see the very start of the cut, and then its either sped up or edited out until the very end of the cut.
    If this was not done, you wouldn't watch the video because the screaming thrust guides would put you off.

Just a heads up
    Tom