Thread: Now what? Socketed chisel handle removal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim, I own many old framing chisels and slicks, from my sampling, cross pinning has not shown itself and I believe for good reason. It is in the nature of metal sockets and wood handles to advance deeper into the socket through use by progressive cell collapse by compression in the wood fiber. The two mechanical means of compression are moisture cycling and the pounding. It is best to let the progressive micro-reseating take place unabated and not have the rivet or screw as a point of failure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    Jim, I own many old framing chisels and slicks, from my sampling, cross pinning has not shown itself and I believe for good reason. It is in the nature of metal sockets and wood handles to advance deeper into the socket through use by progressive cell collapse by compression in the wood fiber. The two mechanical means of compression are moisture cycling and the pounding. It is best to let the progressive micro-reseating take place unabated and not have the rivet or screw as a point of failure.
    Yes, please note, my statement didn't say it was a good practice, merely that some owners may have done it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jeff has a good suggestion but I would try a hotter oven, maybe 300 F. That should release any glue and dry the wood. It will also cause the metal to expand a little. When you take it out try to pull it apart. If you want to maintain domestic tranquility you could use a torch instead of the oven. the edge should stay cool enough to hold it's temper (as should your wife).

A second approach would be to drill a hole in a 2 x 4 the diameter of the handle. Glue the handle into it and pad the sharp end of the chisel. Find a friend to help. The more burly of you should stand on the 2 x 4 and pull up on the chisel while the other whacks it with a hammer.

Third approach, saw the wood off short then use a die grinder to remove the inside burr that is holding it, you will have to grind a little wood to get at the burr.

Blog Entries
    I would cut the wood handle off with a saw and drill the remaining wood out.