Thread: House to be demolished - which wood to grab?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

House to be demolished - which wood to grab?

Hello everyone, my first post here.

My name is Gene (from Russia), I live in Luxembourg and am getting into woodworking as a hobby.
    My workshop is in a 3x3 cellar, so not a lot of room, although I have a large terrace (part of it protected from rain) where I store whatever wood I find.

I am planning to build a Roubo style workbench, and all of a sudden a guy I know asked me if I'd like to take wood from his house, which is due to be demolished in a couple of months (he's planning to build a new house there). The house is around 30 years old, and is made of concrete (I guess), the roof is probably timber-framed, although I am not 100% sure, I'm not an expert At the back of the house there is a terrace, with a roof supported by a timber-framed structure. I am wondering if these beams (some of them have lengthwise cracks) would be a good material for the frame of the workbench? I was going to buy 40 mm (1.5") laminated beech for the bench top, and glue two layers face-to-face. But now I'm also wondering if it would make sense to use the beams to glue up a laminated top.
    Besides that, the house has rail&stile windows (if that's a correct term) with shutters, and wooden stairs.
    The owner told me I can take whatever I want.
    They are also going to cut down three trees, I was told one of them is a walnut, another they are not sure (it's bloom is pink, and it doesn't bear fruits), and the third one is a rather large tree that looks like some sort of pine. I'm guessing the first two trees might be a good source of turning blanks, tool handles, wood for making hand planes? For the pine-like tree, I don't really have ideas, besides possibly making a hewing / chopping block(s)?

I'd like to get some advice, which wood would be useful to take for future use in various projects?

Some pictures.
    20200119_115153_HDR.jpg
    20200119_115214_HDR.jpg
    20200119_115340_HDR.jpg
    20200119_115415_HDR.jpg
    20200119_115727.jpg
    20200119_120619.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images