Well Hi y’all,

This is my first post on here so go easy on me!

Recently I got the laser engraver itch and decided to purchase a 100w fiber laser off eBay.
I read all the horror stories, did hours of research and finally narrowed down the unit I wanted from a few different sellers with good reviews.

Well, I ordered the laser, was in constant communication with the vender and had no issues getting my unit shipped from China to my little part of Texas.

Well, everything seemed great until I started checking out what it can do. It seemed to not engrave/mark stainless as well as I’ve experienced in the past with a 50w laser my work uses for marking surgical instruments. (Similar galvo head fiber laser)

I thought maybe it was something in the settings or maybe a loose connection somewhere.
So I went down the list of troubleshooting and made sure the focus was good and the settings were ok. Everything software wise looks fine.

So I decided to look at my laser source.... low and behold, it has one label that states 10-50w series but the service tag that has the model and serial number has been scraped off completely. There are some nice gouges where they must of used a scraper on it.

So to me this indicates that I more than likely have a lower wattage laser than they advertised. I’ve contacted the seller and they insist it is a 100w unit (why would they admit to scamming me anyways) and say that the unit is a genuine 100w Raycus source.
The laser looks like an authentic Raycus but without the service tag, I have no clue what the power is.

My question to you all is, is there a way to find out what power the laser source is?

I’m trying to get them cornered into sending me a 100w laser source for me to install into the unit, but so far they have been giving me the runaround like
“Check marking area size”
“Check focus”
“Send video of unit”

I’m about to put in a complaint with PayPal and eBay but I’d like to have concrete proof that this unit is a lesser wattage than what I paid for. (As if a scraped of service tag isn’t evidence enough)

Any help on how to find the units actual power would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I will acknowledge that everyone and their mother warned against buying a laser off eBay. I almost went with a US company but after a long talk with the wife, it was determined to be an acceptable risk since eBay and PayPal have a decent return policy.

Thank you all for your help in advance!