Thread: Another Scam

Another Scam

Just received an email from Elvie Klocko.
    Friend Elvie is kindly letting me know that he(?) she(?) it(?) is charging my PayPal account for $369.20 for a BitCoin purchase.
    This an additional purchase, not to be confused with the one (also "PayPal") that someone else sent me (can't recall the sender's name..maybe it Elmer Watcho) a few days ago for a BTC purchase of $927.48

Pic is the "Klocko" notice.
    Just letting folks know, be aware.
    *sigh* ...No rest for the weary.. or the honest.
    I think everyone on the forum is already pretty savvy about these things, so this is more for someone you know who says "My aunt/grandmother/whomever just a got a notice from PayPal....what should she do?"

PPscam.jpg
    Last edited by Patty Hann; Yesterday at 7:37 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    To me the real tip off is the purchase price of $369.20 plus a transaction fee of $30 only adding up to $389.20.

Good thing scammers aren't smart enough to get the math right.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    To me the real tip off is the purchase price of $369.20 plus a transaction fee of $30 only adding up to $389.20.

Good thing scammers aren't smart enough to get the math right.

jtk
    But the sad thing is that some folks who get these things don't see that math error because so many people can't do simple arithmetic in their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    But the sad thing is that some folks who get these things don't see that math error because so many people can't do simple arithmetic in their heads.
    The sad thing is actually that some folks would pay the invoice...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I received two of these for seven hundred something dollars. The displayed email address looks like a real PayPal address but if you look at the actual sending email address it is obviously a scam email address. ALWAYS look at the actual originating email address!

I reported the emails as phishing/scam emails so I no longer have the details of the emails.

Got one once for a large purchase on my Amazon card. Only one problem, I didn't have an Amazon card.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Got one once for a large purchase on my Amazon card. Only one problem, I didn't have an Amazon card.
    I would get phone calls telling me that my Amazon purchase (always between $700-$999) needs more info.

Blog Entries
    I had the same BTC purchase email. I marked it as spam and blocked all future emails from that domain
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Read about another scam... a local one (for me).
    Problem is AZ has no Toll Roads. Not one.

AZ Toll fees.jpg

Blog Entries
    Some of these phishing emails have come my way in the past. Not as much since reporting them to the fraud units of the supposed senders.

Paypal even stopped sending emails about their credit card since everyone of them was sent back as a suspected fraud.

Yesterday a call came in asking if my new Medicare ID had arrived. I told them, "yes it has and it looks great," then hung up.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; Today at 12:05 PM. Reason: Oops, added word for clarity
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

One the other day from eBay, saying I still owed money for shipping I ordered and I must log in and pay USPS more money. Funny I have not ordered anything sent via USPS!!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    One the other day from eBay, saying I still owed money for shipping I ordered and I must log in and pay USPS more money. Funny I have not ordered anything sent via USPS!!!
    These will sometimes get me to check through different means, just to make sure nothing has been hacked. Never use any links provided in the email.

jtk