Thread: What can we learn from this

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Even body armor (bullet proof vest ) come with an expiration date, around 5 to 7 years.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Even body armor (bullet proof vest ) come with an expiration date, around 5 to 7 years.
    That's an interesting point. I have a government-issue bullet-proof vest from the late '70's (long story, overseas service) that still seems pretty solid to me. Thank heavens it doesn't have any dings in it. :^) Can anyone comment further on this?

Doug, just do a Google search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtaBmroJFU
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Doug, just do a Google search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtaBmroJFU
    That's kind of marginal, it still stopped the slugs (nobody said you wouldn't get at least a bruise.) Mine is made with ceramic plates. Probably less of an issue.

Blog Entries
    One of my favorite movie lines about the 'sell by dates' is in RED when John Malkovich takes a bite out of a 30+ year old Moon Pie and someone asks if he is sure it is okay. He replies, "yeah, it is from before they had all that sell by date stuff."

My memory likely got the quote wrong, but it got the idea.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

car seats for kids, bike helmets and hard hats all have expiration dates too. I believe its because the plastic keeps off-gassing and gets brittle with age. Thrift stores wont take car seats because of this around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    car seats for kids, bike helmets and hard hats all have expiration dates too. I believe its because the plastic keeps off-gassing and gets brittle with age. Thrift stores wont take car seats because of this around here.
    I just finished remodeling my basement bathroom the other day. House was built in 1980 and some of the PVC drain pipes were very brittle so the plastic is not aging well. No issues so long as the pipes aren't touched. I could snap original pipe in half easily while newer pipe added during some earlier repairs I could not break and I had to cut it with a saw to get it into the trash..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I just finished remodeling my basement bathroom the other day. House was built in 1980 and some of the PVC drain pipes were very brittle so the plastic is not aging well. No issues so long as the pipes aren't touched. I could snap original pipe in half easily while newer pipe added during some earlier repairs I could not break and I had to cut it with a saw to get it into the trash..
    That's weird. We deal with PVC electrical conduit a lot & the only time I've seen it get brittle is when it's been exposed to sunlight for a couple of decades. Or when it's super cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Mass use of PVC plumbing was fairly new back then and some manufacturers were having problems with it. There were many lawsuits starting back in the '80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Mass use of PVC plumbing was fairly new back then and some manufacturers were having problems with it. There were many lawsuits starting back in the '80's.
    I thought that the major issues were with a particular type of supply line product that inherently failed as a feature...it was something popular in mobile/manufactured homes if I recall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I thought that the major issues were with a particular type of supply line product that inherently failed as a feature...it was something popular in mobile/manufactured homes if I recall.
    I think you might be thinking about Polybutylene plumbing. It was used on a lot more than just mobile/manufactured homes. It was used really extensively in the Southwest and SoCal. Time period was late 70s-early 90's.
    Ultimately made a lot of lawyers wealthier.

Yea, that's the stuff...it was a real mess I recall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...