Thread: Preferred Method for Cutting Mortises Wider than the Chisel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Not a problem once you have used a chisel enough to easily do accurate work with it. I have done 4",and even 6" wide mortises many times with a 1" or 3/4" chisel. PRACTICE !!!!!

You can find yourself doing very wide mortises even on tavern size tables if you use the correct haunched mortise and tenon joints.

Blog Entries
    Or you could drill a hole and use dowel pins glued into the holes.

As George says, this is easy to do with a bit of experience. This project will get you there, however you should have more chisels. I'd drill first then then use 3/4" and 2"chisels. Might grab a 5/8" to rough it out.

No one ever told me you were supposed to cut them all in one go, so I've just chopped them out alternating sides with a narrower chisel. A couple of time when I've tried doing a mortise the exact width of the chisel I've sometimes managed to wedge it pretty good. Having a little clearance actually seemed useful. Why does what I've been doing not work?

Works for me. Like when I have a 6mm mortise chisel...but need to chop a 5/16" wide mortise.."hopscotch" down and back....1" wide chisel to shave the walls smooth...

But, then again...I cut the tenons first...and size the mortise to the tenon...I can always bare a mortise a bit bigger, then trying to fatten up a tenon...

Suppose to allow for a layer of glue? Like the thickness of a dollar bill....

Wood Owl auger bits..Brace and drill out.

Chop out rests with chisel.

Chopping is waste of energy..
    I dont even have a pure mortise chisel.