Thread: LV Custom plane, blade/chip breaker screws.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Dan, I have a 42-degree frog since the Custom #4 is used exclusively with a closed up chipbreaker. The lower frog adds to slightly less effort to push and slightly improved surface clearness than a 45-degree frog. I think that most would be hard put to notice this, and especially in hard woods and after a finish is applied. This plane, as set up, is sublime in smoothing without tearout. The PM-V11 blade cuts cleanly.

Personally, I would not go higher than 45-degrees if you plan to use a closed up chipbreaker. I purchased the #4 with both 42- and a 50-degree frogs, and have only used the 50-degree frog a couple of times. It lives on a shelf.

A story to illustrate the difference: Many years ago I purchased the LN #4 1/2 Anniversary. That was when it was made, and I was one of the few to get it. We are going back about 15-18 years now, and this was in the heyday of high cutting angles. The revival of the closed chipbreaker was not upon us. The Anniversary plane came with a 50 degree frog. LN had begun manufacturing a range of frogs, and I later purchased the 55-degree to go with this. The combination of the 55- and the #4 1/2's wide blade made this plane just awful to use, and the 55-degrees was not even high enough to combat tearout in my local West Australian woods. Onto the shelf it went. A couple of years later I decided to try again, this time with the LN bronze #3, reasoning that the 1 3/4" wide blade should change the ergonomics. I went straight to a 55-degree frog. Same story. It was hard to push and I hated it. For high cutting angle planing I returned to BU planes, which have a low centre of effort, and avoid this heavy feeling.

Then it was 2013, and we were experimenting with closed up chipbreakers. Now 45-degree frogs were taming tearout. I purchased a 45-degree frog for the #3 and traded the 55 for a 45 for the #4 1/2. Night-and-day! These planes were transformed from utter dogs to users. The #4 1/2 is a tank, but this comes into its own with large panels. The #3 is a delight, and is used equally with the Custom #4. They feel about the same size. I would love Veritas to make a #3 Custom, and would snap one up.

The Custom vs Stanley/LN double iron set up is interesting. Pros and cons. Most of us are so used to the Stanley system that we find it easier. The Veritas Custom system is very different. It takes a little getting used to, which is made easier if you use the driver I posted earlier. What becomes apparent is that the Veritas Custom adjusts from the "right" side, that is, you can see the amount of closeness as you tighten down the screws. Also, it is somewhat self-centering. The Stanley can wander a little, and is adjusted "upside down" with less visibility. However, it has a nice large head to manually tighten, which is less involved. Once one becomes familiar with each, they are just different and one ignores their idiosyncrasies.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Huh, did I write this under another name? Like Derek, I also have a #4 LV custom with a 42 deg. frog. I blame Derek for doing all the work that influenced me to buy the plane set up that way. Love it, love it, love it. I also like a smaller plane and wish that LV made a #3. So (unaware that Derek had trod the same path) I purchased a LN bronze #3 with the 55 deg. frog. I don't love it. Hard to push, Not sure I get anything out of the higher frog with a close set cap iron. I do, however, love the size and see a new frog purchase in my future.

I also set up my BU jack with a higher angle, although my BU jointer is a 45 deg. angle.

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Huh, did I write this under another name? Like Derek, I also have a #4 LV custom with a 42 deg. frog. I blame Derek for doing all the work that influenced me to buy the plane set up that way. Love it, love it, love it. I also like a smaller plane and wish that LV made a #3. So (unaware that Derek had trod the same path) I purchased a LN bronze #3 with the 55 deg. frog. I don't love it. Hard to push, Not sure I get anything out of the higher frog with a close set cap iron. I do, however, love the size and see a new frog purchase in my future.

I also set up my BU jack with a higher angle, although my BU jointer is a 45 deg. angle.

Jeff.
    I have been using a 42 degree smoothing plane since 1981. I altered the frog of a Stanley plane.

Warren, I believe that I have given you credit for this frog angle in past discussions. I should have mentioned it here as well. My apology.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Warren, I believe that I have given you credit for this frog angle in past discussions. I should have mentioned it here as well. My apology.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Yes, I remember. I just thought Jeff went a little overboard.

Hi Warren:

I now do remember that I did read of the 42 deg. angle from you first. Sorry that I had forgotten that. I had not meant to overlook your contributions and the discussion you presented.

Sorry,

Jeff.