Thread: What is Founder's Grade?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I believe he uses the word "Founder" to imply it is in very good collector condition. Nothing more. I have and still do buy from him off e-bay where I'm looking for a particular item to complete a tool. Sometimes he has reprinted catalogs that interest me. Nothing from him is a great deal. If you go to sell it, because of taxes and possibly listing fees, you will need to hold onto it for a number of years and hope the value is still there. For me, what I buy will add value to the tool I'm working on. So, I hope to do all right. I have no exposure directly with the man.

Blog Entries
    He may know his tools, but more than anything, he's a person I would never deal with.
    As stated above, my one experience dealing with him is more than enough for one lifetime.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was raised to always look for good in others. In Martin's case, I will say, that about a decade ago, I needed an A6 (aluminum #6) for my collection of Stanley aluminum planes. He had one, in an auction, described as excellent. I bid and won. When it arrived, it had a hang hole not shown on the auction pictures. I complained and got a refund, though I do not recall if shipping was reimbursed.

I appreciated the refund, but I did not appreciate poor pictures. He does show up at tool sales, such as PATINA, MWTC and similar.

For those looking for honest dealing, you can't beat Josh Clark/Hyperkitten or Patrick Leach/Supertool.
    Last edited by Tony Zaffuto; 05-01-2024 at 5:37 AM.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Founder's grade /ˈfoundərs ɡrād/
    adjective

1. a description of a cast metal object of unknown quality
    2. an embellishment disguised as a hopeful request for excessive profitability upon sale
    3. a ruse to part the fool and his money

Jim, I have watched his auction for many years, often looking for parts for planes I am restoring. His term "Founders Grade" is one he has only used in the last few years, not one he used historically, to my memory.

I have thought that meant the plane or part or whatever, was as he "found" it, but of course that is only speculation on my part. However, in looking at a number of his "Buy It Now" items, it does appear that those so listed are generally, but not always, nicer than some of the other of his listing. However, this does not always seem to be the case.

His prices are a lot too high IMHO, and so I very seldom buy from him. However, at times he is the only source at times. On those times, when I needed the part and did not want to wait and hope for a better price from another seller, I did buy from him, and in those cases he has given excellent service, packing, etc.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-03-2024 at 12:29 PM.