Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a Knock Down Shavehorse

Hi Ken,

The guided salmon trip sounds like a great idea and the fly rod will be an experience. I'm a recovering fly-fishing addict and the addiction led to my day job as a fish ecologist. I'll echo all the above by saying I've published more research papers on salmon than salmon i've caught on a fly rod! Best of luck on the trip (and the 'prototype' looks great).

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Phil,

LOL, I may be in almost as much trouble with what I got her . She has for years, every time we are in Oregon, said she wanted to catch a Salmon to eat. I got her a fly rod outfit to use on this years trip. I'll either be a hero or so deep in the dog house light can't reach. I doubt if there is an in between.

ken
    My wife has the same dream - to catch her own salmon and then eat it within a couple of hours (somebody else fillets it.). I bought her a spinning rig (with which she has no desire to achieve competence.) I'd be dead if I got her a fly rod and expected her to use it.

What kind of woodworking are you expecting to do with the toolkit you can pack along with a motorhome (unless you are also pulling a 40' enclosed trailer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    My wife has the same dream - to catch her own salmon and then eat it within a couple of hours (somebody else fillets it.). I bought her a spinning rig (with which she has no desire to achieve competence.) I'd be dead if I got her a fly rod and expected her to use it.

What kind of woodworking are you expecting to do with the toolkit you can pack along with a motorhome (unless you are also pulling a 40' enclosed trailer.)
    Curt,

I expect MsBubba will be the same, the fly rod is more a symbol than anything, the B-Day card will say good for for one guided salmon trip.

I have a portable Moravian workbench built to fit in a side bin . and a Japanese tool box that holds everything needed to build small boxes and the like. Last year the shavehorse was carried in the tow behind Honda Fit. This year the new knock down shavehorse should fit in the same bin with the tool box and the workbench. The woodworking equipment is more to give me something to do and start conversations than to actually make anything.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi Ken,

The guided salmon trip sounds like a great idea and the fly rod will be an experience. I'm a recovering fly-fishing addict and the addiction led to my day job as a fish ecologist. I'll echo all the above by saying I've published more research papers on salmon than salmon i've caught on a fly rod! Best of luck on the trip (and the 'prototype' looks great).

Best,
    Chris

Thanks Chris,

I expect the guided trip is the best hope for a Salmon but hopefully she will enjoy trying to cast. I will enjoy the time trying to teach.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

I think your thoughts on a prototype are good advise for me. I need to think about that when I build my first real bench, which will be a Moravian that can be loaded into our van or a pickup which I plan to get some time after I retire. (Retirement 1st week of March, so I am right there with you on retirement.) The bench will be a portable that I can use for carpentry and woodworking. It will be a while before I will be able to work on building the bench however, as I have knee replacement surgery this afternoon. We leave for the hospital in about 2 or 3 minutes.

Regards,

Stew
    Stew,

good luck with the knee. It's hell to get old.

ken

I can only add how amazing salmon can be fresh from the water. I have a friend who does charter Salmon fishing in Lake Michigan. Considering the four hour drive home, the Salmon went from water to grill in about 6 hours. Tastiest Salmon I’ve ever eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I can only add how amazing salmon can be fresh from the water. I have a friend who does charter Salmon fishing in Lake Michigan. Considering the four hour drive home, the Salmon went from water to grill in about 6 hours. Tastiest Salmon I’ve ever eaten.
    We're so far off topic but is there actual salmon in lake Michigan or are they just kokanee? Not familiar with geography in that region. Do to atlanics get into the lake?

Michael, Lake Michigan was stocked with Atlantic Salmon years ago to help eliminate the invasive species Alewives brought in from container ships. Today, the lake holds Chinook, Coho, and Atlantic Salmon. The problem now is that the program worked so well, that the Alewives population is dwindling and that’s effecting the Salmon population.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    On a tuna trip, I once donated a troll fish to the boat. 2 hours later it appeared as sushi and sashimi. About as tasty as it gets. On another trip had a deckhand fry up a fresh caught bonito with mayo and potato ships. Wonderful! To add context, the usual thing done with bonito is to put them up on the roof for a week and then use them for catfish bait.

Ken
    "I have a portable Moravian workbench built to fit in a side bin . and a Japanese tool box that holds everything needed to build small boxes and the like. Last year the shavehorse was carried in the tow behind Honda Fit. This year the new knock down shavehorse should fit in the same bin with the tool box and the workbench. The woodworking equipment is more to give me something to do and start conversations than to actually make anything.

Had another forum acquaintance who used his vacation time (in Maine) collecting driftwood and making spoons & such while his wife was on the beach. An yesm an annual stop at Lie-Nielson was obligatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Ken
    "I have a portable Moravian workbench built to fit in a side bin . and a Japanese tool box that holds everything needed to build small boxes and the like. Last year the shavehorse was carried in the tow behind Honda Fit. This year the new knock down shavehorse should fit in the same bin with the tool box and the workbench. The woodworking equipment is more to give me something to do and start conversations than to actually make anything.

Had another forum acquaintance who used his vacation time (in Maine) collecting driftwood and making spoons & such while his wife was on the beach. An yesm an annual stop at Lie-Nielson was obligatory.
    Curt,

Back when I was still flying the line I spent a lot of time in Maine. My co-pilot and I had a regular routine, coffee and cookies on the Camden docks, a drive to the GSD puppy farm for some puppy kisses, then a drop by LN's shop. Back then he had a lot fewer products to view. All that followed by visiting the old hippy used tool dealers store. The next day do it all over again. Those were the day my friend.

ken

Work on the shavehorse stopped over xmas week because it is also MsBubba's B-Day week. We spent the week on the AZ-Mexico border "camping" in the motorhome next to a small lake. Today was my first chance for shop time and as expected the Honey Locust bit my butt like I knew it would before finishing the shavehorse. While chopping the mortise for the rear leg wedge a big chunk blew out, the wedged mortise will hold the leg OK but it sure is ugly.

Left to do: fit the treadle to the swing arm, glue and peg the dumb head, cut and shape the swing arm pivot, and clean up and oil the whole thing.

A couple of photos:

shavehorseWithRearLeg andPlatform.jpg

shavehorseWithRearLeg andPlatformB.jpg

shavehorse WithRearLegandPlatformC.jpg

ken

Hi Mike, Ken,

Well, it has been hard to keep inspired with the exersizes, but I have made improvement. The most difficult thin is sleeping well at night, because of difficulties breathing...hopefully tonight will go better.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Mike, Ken,

Well, it has been hard to keep inspired with the exersizes, but I have made improvement. The most difficult thin is sleeping well at night, because of difficulties breathing...hopefully tonight will go better.

Stew
    Stew,

I hope the knee recovery is going as well as can be expected. I hear the PT is really hard. It is tough to have a bum wheel.

ken

.All the parts are made and more or less fitted, still lots of clean up to go but I had to give it a go as is. While the dumbhead is not attached and pegged to the swing arm it holds tenaciously. Once cleaned up this sucker will be a very good shavehorse.

shavehorseWithSwingarmAndDumbhead.jpg

ken