Thread: Free piano for the wood?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

That's a great price.

I've taken two apart for the wood and found nothing of value.
    However... the harps make great mooring weights.

I'm sure I posted this in a previous similar thread, but please don't cut the strings off. Spend a few bucks and get a tuning hammer. Loosen every other string from bottom to top - then go back and loosen the remaining strings. Once all of the tension has been removed, you can safely do whatever you want. 30 to 60 tons of string tension is nothing to fool with. An abrupt change in tension caused by cutting the strings off before releasing the tension can result in an imploding cast iron plate. You don't want to be on the receiving end of that.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    I'm sure I posted this in a previous similar thread, but please don't cut the strings off. Spend a few bucks and get a tuning hammer. Loosen every other string from bottom to top - then go back and loosen the remaining strings. Once all of the tension has been removed, you can safely do whatever you want. 30 to 60 tons of string tension is nothing to fool with. An abrupt change in tension caused by cutting the strings off before releasing the tension can result in an imploding cast iron plate. You don't want to be on the receiving end of that.
    Good reminder. I used my tuning hammer to loosen but to remove the pins to save them I used an electric drill - it takes a lot of turning to remove one and there are over 200 in a typical piano! (BTW, for those unfamiliar a tuning hammer is a fancy name for the wrench that fits the pins.)