I just ordered the Powermatic 3520C but chose not to buy the tailstock swing away bracket. Initially I felt I wouldn't need it and it was $300. However, now I'm wondering if it wouldn't make my life easier and it may be more necessary than I realized.

I turn bowls and hollow vessels almost always. I first thought that, with a long bed lathe like the 3520C, the tailstock wouldn't be in the way and I'd leave it on. However, I realized, after thinking about it more, that my original thinking probably doesn't make sense since, when hollowing bowls I would likely move the headstock toward the tailstock end for better access (which seems to be one of the benefits of a sliding headstock). The tailstock would be in the way and I'd need to remove it during the hollowing of most, if not all bowls and vessels.

For those who do own a lathe like the 3520C and own the swing away bracket, is it worth the $300 and is it close to a necessity since the tailstock weighs close to 50 pounds?

For those that didn't buy the tailstock bracket, is it something you wish you had or at least dread removing the tailstock when necessary?