Thread: Which tool sharpening system?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Which tool sharpening system?

I'm interested in a tool sharpening system that is efficient and provides repeatable sharp edges. It is for plane iron blades, chisels and wood turning tools.
    As a bonus it would be great if it were also useful for knife and scissor sharpening but that is secondary.

I'm more than willing to spend the money to get the right one. I'm not sure what that is.

Currently I have the wolverine jigs for an 8" grinder. It is okay but not efficient and at least for me repeatability and ease of use are not its strengths.
    I also have an assortment of japanese water stones as well as diamond stones and leather strops with polishing compound. I have an old Veritas plane and chisel sharpening jig.

I'm not good at sharpening by hand with any of these. I have gotten the best results for chisels and plane irons using the water stones. But that is a slow, messy and time consuming process. I really want to do woodworking and not spend great deals of time and space sharpening.

The units I've seen are the following
    • Tormek and it's clones including the Jet, Rikon and Wen wet wheels with accessories.
    • Sorby Proedge
    • Workshop WS300
    • Kodiak Sharpening System

Sharpening.jpg

I'm not sure of which direction to go. I can upgrade my grinder and add better wheels and fixtures, buy a sharpening system, add to what I have to achieve it, etc. Maybe there's a great video (I've youtubed and such but never found something that improved my sharpening skills much).

I really want an efficient repeatable means to sharpen my tools. Your experience and advice on this is very much needed.
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 04-29-2021 at 6:19 PM.