Thread: Looking for Advice - Benchtop Belt Sander

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi, John. I’m looking for a benchtop model, not hand-held.

I have the same Porter Cable unit that David has. I agree completely with his assessment about the platforms, although I was able to tweak mine a bit to make them stable and square. Mine came with and adaptor that allows it to work with my dust collection system. It's basically a so-so unit but it gets the job done. The thing is, it's less than $300. And for that price I would say it is a decent value. "Better" units like some of the Jets cost 3X that, and don't seem to get any better reviews. The Powermatic is well liked but it's $1500. One possible brand to explore is USA made Kalamazoo for about $750. They have a bunch with narrow belts but this one comes with a 4" belt. Not a lot of reviews out there, but I found some experienced people e-chatting about them online somewhere and saying positive things. Bottom line: unless you use yours A LOT, you might be content with the Porter Cable. I am -- it's not my favorite or best tool, but it gets the job done well (after my tuning) and since I don't use it all the time, I feel it is good value.

If I was looking for a benchtop unit I think I would take a look at one of the oscillating combination belt/ spindle sander. That's assuming that you don't need the disc sander too. I have no clue about the power since I've never used one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    If I was looking for a benchtop unit I think I would take a look at one of the oscillating combination belt/ spindle sander. That's assuming that you don't need the disc sander too. I have no clue about the power since I've never used one though.
    I have one of the Rigid combos and it works well for me. Triton/Grizzly/WEN/Harbor Freight all have a different version that appear to be clones out of the same factory. From a value/utility perspective, I'd be hard-pressed to find something better.

I have the Ridgid also - but - like so much other stuff right now, it appears to be made of Unobtainium.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Larnerd View Post
    Hi, John. I’m looking for a benchtop model, not hand-held.
    The Ridgid oscillating belt sander is great if you don't need a disk as well. I've had one for a couple of decades.

JKJ

I have the Ridgid as well. It has been all I've needed. Mine is at least 15 yrs. old so I can't speak for the newer models.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I can't comment on it yet but I bought the Wen unit that looks like the Rigid today. I looked for the Rigid but.... I have had pretty good luck with other Wen tools and I got it from Amazon so returning it will be easy, if that is necessary. It only pulls 3.5 amps so I am not sure how it will do but I'll give it a try. I'm working on some chairs and need a stationary sander to sand the curved parts.