Thread: tapering table legs with a jointer in 4 passes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yep bandsaw and belt sander for me.

MK

Can't imagine you can take a 3/8" cut on one of those little jointers, I haven't seen the video, but I typically either:

Cut on the bandsaw to about a 1/16" or less then a pass or two on the jointer, this is the least accurate way but have done it probably a hundred or more times this way - unless your bandsaw cut is close to perfectly straight and the same on all of them you at times need to adjust the jointer cut depth as you go so the tapers all end up "close" to the same.

OR

Cut waste on bandsaw then use a template and flush trim with router bit

OR

(and this is most typ for me today) Cut on saw with jig and one light (1/32" or so cut) on the jointer, for one offs this is the fastest and most reliable for me as the taper ends at the same place at the top of the leg where it transitions to the flat, almost never happens in the other methods but sometimes it doesn't matter and it isn't even noticeable

AND

Sometimes Bandsaw or Saw then cleanup with hand plane, honestly the most enjoyable but more time of course but not too much...
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 08-18-2021 at 7:50 AM.

I've used the bandsaw/jointer method a lot but recently started using a simple sled with the thickness sander to clean up the tapers.

I've done this, and it works, but I'd classify this as more of a "stupid jointer trick" than a good technique. The issue, IMHO is what happens when this goes wrong? It's also a very deep cut to make with a jointer, making it more likely that something bad will happen.

If you don't like the suggestions of using a bandsaw, you can make a similar cut on a table saw using a taper jig. It's possible to make such a jig in a few minutes with a couple of dollars worth of material.

DIY version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMF3cT6e_ZI

Store bought:
    https://www.rockler.com/taper-straight-line-jig

I tried the jointer method when the video came out a decade ago, using appropriate large blocks to guide the work. It worked well, and was fast, which I believe to have been a major concern for Huey, but not my major concern.

You need to make sure the stop cut ends at precisely half the distance you want tapered.

Despite the fact that it worked well, I have not used the method since, preferring bandsaw and handplane, just handplaning to a line, or using a clamping tablesaw sled.
    Last edited by Alan Schwabacher; 08-17-2021 at 11:51 AM.

No, emphatically, no. That deep a cut on the biggest jointer should be reserved for edge jointing. Also, imo, tapering on the jointer is inexact.