Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 3D Printer Suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Decided over the weekend that I was over-thinking the whole bit...just pulled the trigger on a Flashforge Adventurer 3, due from Amazon Wednesday.

My only misgiving was the odd/small spool size, but I found a printable add-on that allows the use of standard 1KG spools fully enclosed. Even with the bump-out, it's small enough to fit the bench, and portable enough to stuff in a cabinet if I need the space.

More when I get some time with it.
    So are you up and running now Lee? I've been following because this is something I'm also interested in. If so first impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    So are you up and running now Lee? I've been following because this is something I'm also interested in. If so first impressions?
    Yup. I've got about 150 hours on it already, and it's running like a champ. Most of that was printing the big chunks of the "doghouse" that clips to the side to hold full-size 1kg spools.
    Got busy with some other stuff (taxes ugh)...I'll post up some pics maybe later today.

[EDIT] Ok, here's the pieces of the add-on, and a view of it assembled and attached:
    20220204_145408.jpg20220204_142543.jpg
    (and no, those were NOT the first things I printed, there was a day or so of testing and prints of Benchy and the other Usual Suspects. )

Ok, this is getting annoying: can someone tell me the trick of getting pics from my phone to stop displaying sideways here? Don't have that problem with any camera I've owned...
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 02-06-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Looks like that came out nice. Did you design it too? If so what software do you use? I have nothing to offer on the photo display orientation issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Looks like that came out nice. Did you design it too? If so what software do you use? I have nothing to offer on the photo display orientation issue.
    Not my design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4899516
    I did modify the spool holder to handle the wide (~3") spools Amazon Basics filament comes on. I'll post that up on Thingiverse as a "remix" when I get a chance.

Still looking for the right design tool: I've got 3D Builder, SolveSpace, OpenSCAD, and FreeCAD loaded up, just need to see which one's UI doesn't give me a headache.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Ok, this is getting annoying: can someone tell me the trick of getting pics from my phone to stop displaying sideways here? Don't have that problem with any camera I've owned...
    There is metadata embedded in the photo specifying the orientation. I load the picture into an image editor, rotate, resize, and save as JPG and they always come out as expected. I use Photoshop but others should work.

If rotated and reposted dozens of pictures for people. I could rotate yours if you want.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There is metadata embedded in the photo specifying the orientation. I load the picture into an image editor, rotate, resize, and save as JPG and they always come out as expected. I use Photoshop but others should work.

If rotated and reposted dozens of pictures for people. I could rotate yours if you want.
    The odd bit is that the EXIF orientation value is apparently ok at my end: it always displays in the correct orientation on the computer (Win10).

Somewhere in the vBulletin upload process, it gets resized...maybe the metadata gets stripped off then? (As I recall, we used to have to do that resizing ourselves, or the upload would simply fail. Not sure when that changed.)

I have a factory built Prusa and its great, don't need to build something to be able use or adjust.
    Had a Makergear M2 in the past but could not afford this time around.