Thread: Hand Plane Cabinet Hinges?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hand Plane Cabinet Hinges?

The hand plane cabinet shown below is my first cabinet making attempt. The inset door with a glass panel still needs to be installed but I'm having a hard time deciding which type of hinge to use. I put together a sample european style hinge and a butt hinge and it seems the former has some advantages, especially with my limited skills. The only problem I see with it is it takes up some unsightly space inside. I like it's adjustability and easier install though. The butt hinge sample didn't go well and I can see it will be difficult to fit properly. Since this is my first cabinet build and most of the wood used was left over scraps and undesirable local lumber yard plywood would it be better to go the easier european hinge route or tough it out and get some experience with the butt hinge?

The hand plane cabinet design is by Craig Bentzley and obtained from Woodcraft magazine. It seems like it is capable enough but my original plan was to wall mount it above my work bench. Unfortunately it will be too high to reach some of the planes so it will probably have to sit on the bench. I may make another one with better materials with a slightly different design so it can be wall mounted.

Projects 001.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 01-19-2022 at 6:09 PM.