Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, Who do I blame here.........

1. OK, Who do I blame here.........

.....I'm not kidding, one of you, or maybe a few of you "round" guys and/or gals must take the blame on this one.....

Oh yeah, I was just minding my own business, flipping through SMC, looking at all the lovely flatwork, then something caught my eye, a title on a thread like "Nice Butternut......" or "Yellowheart.......Bubinga" what the heck.....?

Now what are these guys talking about...I'd better go take a look at that stuff.....

I did not notice the thread was in the "Turners Forum", I'd been warned, so I stayed away until recently, but when you hit that "New Post" link/button, they give you ALL the new posts, even the ones from the non-flat areas of SMC.....

......so I get myself looking at all this round stuff, spinny stuff, GEORGOUS stuff.....and.....

yep, I'm sure I'm a goner now...........

I take one of the larger pieces of the Sakura (Cherry) that I have left, and my new electric chainsaw and chop it up into bowl blanks......

The new saw cuts really well!!

I stop at four blanks, I have the wood for another 4 easy, but for today, I stop at four....

OK there are the rough blanks.

I'm sitting there looking at these, and I'm thinking that while they are nice to look at, the grain is a little hard to see, so I figure I'll clean them up a bit.....

Now while I'm doing this, Big Blue (That is my old Hitachi Re-saw bandsaw) starts telling me how this is the kind of work that he was BORN to do, slicing up this nice wood.....

OK, it is getting late, I've got a cold, runny nose, headache, the whole body aches, but for the last hour or so, I've felt fine....?

The I look at the cut blank and I think "Hmm, the lathe on auction says it will turn 15cm over the bed, so I wonder how big one of these blanks will be....

I get out the protractor thing I have and measure off about 12 cm, to make a 24 cm bowl.....

....Cool!!....

Now I look at the square piece of wood, with a circle scribed in it, and I think.....

"That just don't look right....."

...back to Big Blue....

Now that is looking better, nice and sort of round, I can see some nice grain here, and some interesting colors.....

......so I do another one....

....the whole time, Big Blue is saying "Yeah, give me more, bet you can't bog me down!!"......and try as I might, I cannot....

...here is a close up of one of the blanks, looks nice, should be interesting, at least...

Heck, I don't even own a lathe yet......

Oh yeah, who is it that I blame for this............?

I'd like to thank them, that was fun...!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 01-18-2006 at 1:56 PM.

You have to blame yourself, for allowing yourself to be taken to the dark side. Once there, there is no escape

3. ....but....but.....

It was an honest mistake, I did not KNOW that the thread I looked at was in that dark place, I just clicked the link.....and.....and........................

..........sigh.............

Bottle stopper, yeah, that's the ticket.....bottle stoppers.....

Not my fault. Keith's right. Blame yourself. I'm not even gonna try to rescue you!

Welcome to the abyss
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

5. Ya well....

Hey, what should I do to these blanks now that I've cut them out of the log...?

Maybe in my haste I've done something wrong..?

Cheers!

Glad to see ya posting here Stu. I have missed your postings and Big Blue.

You got Big Blue down into the shop, you can get a nice big lathe down there also. But you have to post pictures of that fun job when you do it. Most of these fine folks have not seen the entrance to your shop, your a better man then me....

So Welcome to the Dark Side Stu, I know you will love the challenge.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Glad to see ya posting here Stu. I have missed your postings and Big Blue.

You got Big Blue down into the shop, you can get a nice big lathe down there also. But you have to post pictures of that fun job when you do it. Most of these fine folks have not seen the entrance to your shop, your a better man then me....

So Welcome to the Dark Side Stu, I know you will love the challenge.
    Thanks Dick I bet I'll have some fun here for sure....

You know, if you do a search on SMC with the name "Dick Parr" there sure seem to be a lot of threads with "Blame" or "Dick's Fault" in the title.....

What do you do to get into so much fun....err... trouble...?

Cheers!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You're toast Stu!! Just give in. Unlike the rest of us flat landers, you're too weak to resist . We can't help you from this side .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    .....I'm not kidding, one of you, or maybe a few of you "round" guys and/or gals must take the blame on this one.....
    All I can say is...these are just a few...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-18-2006 at 3:44 PM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Stu,
    You’re a goner dude. Just thank your lucky rotations that you are in the northern hemisphere and will go down clockwise.
    Frank

[EDIT: Clockwise when viewed from the back of the lathe that is.
    Darn, now you spinny ones are making me dizzy!]
    Last edited by Frank Chaffee; 01-18-2006 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    All I can say is...these are just a few...
    Hey! Don't include me in that "Dark Side" stuff! I'm not there - I am not a Neander using a spring pole lathe...I live on the ROUND SIDE!!!! ROUND! ROUND! ROUND! Ya'll can be dark and evil if ya want.

Ohh my ohh my stu!! You are in deep already and you don't even have the lathe! The dungeon is deep enough w/o falling in this hole!!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    Hey! Don't include me in that "Dark Side" stuff!
    Carole..... everyone knows that turner's do not have a "side" ... everything is round

Okay...so shall we call it "The Round Side"?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Hey, what should I do to these blanks now that I've cut them out of the log...?
    !
    Well you could send them to me. And I won't tell anyone and you could forget all about turning! NOT! You are hooked.