Thread: Investing in stocks- who’s right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    tMy reason is simple - I do what so far has worked well for me and it's not something anyone else would likely understand.
    It sounds like being born in the correct decade was a good starting point, and after that, having a suite of fully funded public services *that someone else paid for* left discretionary funds in your accounts.

Broadly speaking, you've described the same attitude toward taxation that has made Greece the haven of opportunity for young people that it is today.

This sentiment is a case perfect example of why people of generous spirit don't stay here.

Ducking taxes isn't smart - it's a wealth transfer from those that can least afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    It sounds like being born in the correct decade was a good starting point, and after that, having a suite of fully funded public services *that someone else paid for* left discretionary funds in your accounts.

Broadly speaking, you've described the same attitude toward taxation that has made Greece the haven of opportunity for young people that it is today.

This sentiment is a case perfect example of why people of generous spirit don't stay here.

Ducking taxes isn't smart - it's a wealth transfer from those that can least afford it.
    Where to start on this mess...
    Public services are funded by local property taxes for the most part. I pay property taxes on 7 different properties - plus - since I only reside in one of those, I pay the max for the other 6.
    In other and plainer terms - I contribute 7 times to the public services that nearly everyone else only contributes towards once.
    Did you catch that? I pay 7 times - others pay 1 time - now pray tell me, how does that become me having a full suite of those services that "someone else" paid for?
    If anything, it's the other way around.

Umm- again you have things screwed up. People that contribute to charities - the mega dollars - do it because it's a tax deduction. A way of directing their money towards what they wish to contribute it towards - not some sloppy top heavy cluster... that our tax system has become.
    I don't know about Greece & I don't care to know about Greece. My guess is that you aren't nominating me for citizen of the year - so - If that's a veiled personal attack, I'm not going to play.

"Ducking" taxes?!?!? What in the world are you talking about? I shelter my income from the taxes I can - the others, that I can't, I suck it up and pay them.
    & yes - that includes every single penny of "cash" transactions.
    If a penny on income comes into our house, it gets reported. Period. End of discussion.
    I hate paying taxes - but - paying penalties and interest on top of taxes is just plain stupid.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Property taxes are unfair. I

Property taxes are unfair. The poorest areas pay the least in property taxes while the rich mansion neighborhood pays more. But I bet the average millionaires house never has the cops called in to break up fights, police dog fighting rings, drive bys, drug dealers etc.
    Bill D