Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Day Light Savings

Yesterday a sleep expert group said that our circadian rhythms would be better served by staying on Standard time not Daylight Saving time. I think what people hate is the twice yearly change and resultant difficulties it causes. We can always hope that Congress will thoughtfully do the right and best thing for the country, but…. Don’t hold your breathe.😖

Blog Entries
    We can always hope that Congress will thoughtfully do the right and best thing for the country, but…. Don’t hold your breathe.
    Bernie, I happen to have a bridge you might be interested in buying…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Nationwide standards for time have occurred before. Nothing earth shaking about it for me. Standardizing is OK. Standardizing on standard time would be better. I like more early day than more late day. This would not have been so 40 years ago. Guess I'm getting old. Permanent DST should be welcome by late risers though ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Remember ,it started out as “ British Summer Time” in World War 1. But today’s war stuff works faster! So we don’t need it !

Prefer standard time, but either one ok, just hate the time changes as animals do not know the clock changed and they just get used to it and it changes again...
    Pick one and stick with it...

Just when I was getting a handle on setting a digital clock.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I'll be surprised if this lasts longer than the last attempt at this in the US.
    There seems to be a lot more support for it at this point, both from the public and throughout the spectrum of "congress critters".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you forgotten that we tried this in 1974? Didn't work then, nor will it work now. We wouldn't have the time zones across the USA if it hadn't been for the railroads.

I think it lasted about 8 months? I wasn't aware, I was too young and didn't live here anyway.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I save my daylight in a battery via a photovoltaic cell.

Oh, that’s not what you mean???😀

I’m ambivalent…….Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Have you forgotten that we tried this in 1974? Didn't work then, nor will it work now. We wouldn't have the time zones across the USA if it hadn't been for the railroads.
    Technically true Bruce however I would think that an agrarian society already had time zones supplied by dawn and dusk….Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Time zones pretty much put the sun in the center. That made “bad timing “ for everyone else. And nonsense For agrarian people to make a
    full day. Their 12 noon had to be REAL mid -day. That’s why they had to have “noon marks” , “pretend time” would have made them starve.
    So in reality we had MORE time zones then and MORE accurate time. A consistent watch is not always mean accurate time.

To work the longest possible full day the sun has to be at zenith at your middle of the day.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-19-2022 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    For agrarian people to make a full day. Their 12 noon had to be REAL mid -day. That’s why they had to have “noon marks” , “pretend time” would have made them starve. So in reality we had MORE time zones then and MORE accurate time. A consistent watch is not always mean accurate time.

To work the longest possible full day the sun has to be at zenith at your middle of the day.
    That makes zero sense. To "work the longest possible full day", you just need to start at sunrise and stop at sunset. Why would you care when "noon" is?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

If the job must be finished “today” you must have half the work done by mid-day. Farmers are good at math! People who own
    fine watches sometimes don’t want to use them in the field. It was common for a farmer observing that it was noon and he had not done
    half the work to ask for help. Thanks for asking the question, I was not clear. Things like an unusually early frost coming could change
    priorities . I’ve seen guys get fooled by “pretend time” and scramble to get the job done.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-19-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Isn’t all time “pretend time”. It’s an arbitrary construct. I would venture that 19th century agrarians did not generally have clocks. Church’s and schools had bells to tell folks when they needed to be at services or class. A common numerical time is only needed when you wanted to coordinate activities with other folks. Time balls ( indicating local noon) were so ships could set there chronometers for navigation. If you knew your local noon AND your longitude you could work out local noon in Greenwich, and keeping that time you can tell your longitude wherever you may travel on the seas

John