Thread: Need some help with bandsaw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I made a living with a bandsaw and scroll saw starting in 1968. I cut up to one inch wood, MDF, Plexiglas, etc. with a 6 tooth, hooked 1/4" x 11' blade. You can buy them local or on line. Your work should "glide" through 3/4" plywood. Never force your work into the blade. Sometimes you need to file the weld smooth on the back of the blade.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Even a 6 tpi blade cutting 3 1/2" pine would require being careful. The pine will fill the gullets before they exit the wood which will still cause problems. My suggestion would be 3 tpi so you can cut both the 4x4 and the 2x4.

A 1/8 inch blade is dicey on that bandsaw with a riser. Also, the Carter stabilizer allows the blade to twist very easily. I had the stabilizer on a 10" Rikon and had trouble with 3/16" blades. Cutting that thick of wood with a 1/8" blade is asking for issues in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    ... Also, the Carter stabilizer allows the blade to twist very easily. ...
    I bought a Carter stabilizer and after giving it a good try gave up and passed it on to someone else. My best tightly curved cuts with 1/4" blades (on a 14" Delta with riser block) was with embedding the blade within the faces of two wooden blocks in place of the normal guides.

JKJ