Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP where do I start...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    John,

For a long time LA county would only recognise UL or LA City Labs as the aceptable testing labratory. Now they recognise several other labs including CSA. So if any of the equiptment has a CSA label that will do. Other then that Id try to work with the inspectors and see if by replacing the motors and motor controlers with approved devices will meet there criteria. It might be fairly easy and not too expensive to buy new Baldor or leeson motors that have a label. If you need some help with this PM me and I'd be glad to swing by you shop and help you out.
    On both the Onieda and the Oliver are a Baldor and Leeson motors. But I was told that they want to see the UL on the nameplate for the machine as a whole and that just because a part of the machine might be UL listed that doesn't cut it for the unit as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles
    At least he hasn't asked you to install sprinklers yet.... Has he?
    This is the electrical inspector......I have the fire inspector coming out after I get the electric passed...... But I'll tell you that they already mentioned it several times down at city hall when I was submitting plans

Sure glad Mom and Dad yanked me outta Cali when I was 2 months old (adopted). I can't think of a more PITA place to live with all the regs and permits.

Sure sorry you have to endure this, sounds like a big mess. Tell ya what I'd do. I'd remove the three machines, then get certified and promptly move the machines back in the first weekend afterwards.

Red tape is getting out of hand everywhere as cities and towns search for more ways to reap benefits from our businesses....just makes me tired. It does sound like you got a stickler for an inspector. I'd also do what I could to help him get out of your hair. Now here's the 64k question. Is the inspection a yearly thing? If so you might want to get all three of those machines on ebay and replace them with those that are UL listed. Especially if he can blast in there anytime and bust you for having them in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Is it a full commercial area or are you near some residential or what I'll call white collar businesses like boutique shops or lawyer etc.?

Karl
    My shop is in an all comercial area it's right next to the lovely LA river and the 710 fwy.

John, How long were you in business before they started hassling you? Maybe you could say you were grandfathered in or some lawyer type saying like that.

Mike

I can't start to tell you what a PITA this has been. I thought it would be a simple matter to get a business license. Was I way wrong! From the beggining I've never gotten a straight answer out of anyone from city hall. I had a team inspection last FEB where I was told I needed to submit plans to building, planning and fire to get the permits necessarry for my license. I was also told that I couldn't apply for the permits for the dust collection duct or electric and that I had to have a licensed contractors pull them. I had to pay an architect to do plans that showed the whole shop, a site plan for the whole area and where all the tools would be placed, etc, etc. I had to pay an electrician to do electrical plans and pull the permits for those. This has cost me several thousand dollars already. I can't afford to pay someone to UL list my machines ( not that I would even consider it since it's completely rediculous ). If I wasn't in a lease till June and had another option for setting up a shop I would just move. I've lost 2 months of shop time and I can't work in my shop without the possibility of being slapped with a fine and a misdemenor. The worst thing is I still have the fire inspection, building inspection and another team inspection before I can get my license, not to mention all the fees that go along with them........ I'm ready to go POSTAL!!!

John,
    WOW that is a shame! I really don't know what the answer is...try to get the machines certified
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Sure glad Mom and Dad yanked me outta Cali when I was 2 months old (adopted). I can't think of a more PITA place to live with all the regs and permits.
    It's not just California; I'm it's the same in any urban area. I'm sure it's worse in NYC, and worse still in Chicago. Commerical spaces are held to higher standards than residential, especially if you have employees and the OSHA inspector shows up.

This might sometimes seems silly, but I remember an incident here in Oregon several years ago, where I guy installed a waste-oil stove in his shop. He didn't get a permit. A few years later there was a fire in the shop, and some firefighters lost their lives. The shop owner went to jail for manslaughter, for his gross negligence of improperly installing the stove and without the proper permits and inspections.

John, Sorry to hear about that. You can bring that Oliver over to my house and set it up in my garage. 10 miles isn't too far to drive just to joint an edge is it? Seriously though, I feel for ya. Consider moving to a little shop in Signal Hill.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles
    John,
    As I see it, the problem here is the inspector, not the equipment. Ask what machinery they object too, and remove it. . . .
    John,

I agree with removing the equipment. Then, after you get your permit, move it back.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan, August 15, 1986

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Baxter
    John,

I agree with removing the equipment. Then, after you get your permit, move it back.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan, August 15, 1986

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P. J. O'Rourke

Are you folks ACTUALLY encouraging someone to do something illegal? Are you willing to share the liability? The codes are there for a reason. Sometimes you will get inspectors that really need a class in interpersonal relations but the codes and regulations are there for the safety of others, not just you. While I was a firefighter there were a number of fires, both commercial and residential, that were started by someone thinking that they were being railroaded by the evil inspector and that they knew better anyway and they went ahead and did things that were illegal and ended up damaging other folks property. Aside from the fire aspect, the city (any city) isn't trying to discourage businesses from starting up with any codes they put into place. That's where they get tax revenue from. They WANT the businesses there. But there are other factors involved besides your inconvenience, namely the safety and welfare of the OTHER businesses around you. If somone does something out of code and something happens, not only is there risk to the operator of the shop but also to the other employees, other businesses, the other businesses employees, and the building owner. Not to mention the danger to any rescue personnel that have to come and take care of the person(s) who were responsible in the first place.

I was raised in a family who owned body shops (talk about code compliance) and I've been in the building trade all my life and I've never understood why people complain and been afraid of permits and inspectors. Is it inconvenient and frustrating sometimes? Sure it is; Sometimes. But if someone is a person of good character and tries to think about a bigger picture instead of themselves then following the law shouldn't be oppressive.

It sounds like there are some good ideas being given to comply with the codes and the inspectors wishes that aren't too oppressive to get done, just perhaps time consuming. These sound like the better idea.

Hey, Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 01-29-2006 at 1:08 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios

It sounds like there are some good ideas being given to comply with the codes and the inspectors wishes that aren't too oppressive to get done, just perhaps time consuming. These sound like the better idea.
    Agreed. Especially after reading the post about the firefighters loosing their lives. My original post was rather flippant, and lacked good judgment.

John is an exceptionally gifted artist, designer, and woodworker. It is a bummer that he must jump through so many hoops to make a living at it. Resolving bureaucratic problems such as these can be very taxing on a small business. I do wish John the best at solving this quandary.

GB

Thanks all for the suggestions and letting me vent and get it off my chest. It has been a weight around my neck for months now and I needed to complain to people that might understand and have some insight. One way or another it will get resolved....I'm not letting the MAN win !!!

I'll keep you updated.

thanks

Mark and John, I don't want to get into an expertise thing here, but having spent 5 years as a firefighter, 5 years as an inspector, 10 years as an inspection supervisor, and an additional 10 years teaching fire protection at a community college, I think I can state, without disparaging inspectors, that they sometimes go beyond both the spirit and letter of code requirements.

John, unfortunately woodworking is considered to be a high hazard occupancy. This is partially due to the dust generated in the process and additionally to the amount of combustible materials throughout a facility. While the hazard level of dust is directly related to particulate size there is no provision that I am aware of that would differentiate between sanding and cutting dust, therefore codes are written, more or less, as one size fits all. I find it surprising therefore, that Oneida, who supplies commercial systems, does not have any certification that might be required for their system. I would speculate that the Dust Gorilla might not have a certification as a means of cost containment, but that is another issue. I guess what I am saying is that if there is a nationally recognized standard for dust collector systems, then one would think that Oneida would be aware of them and meet same. Additionally, I would think that in order to meet a standard the system would have to be installed by someone recognized as a system installer to insure that it met any existing standard for proper ducting material, bonding, and system integrity.

As I said in my earlier post, I think that MM should be able to provide you with the EC information on your band saw, and if the inspection authority is reasonable they should (unless they are totally rule-bound) be able to recognize alternative certification.

I still don't have an answer for the planer, and question the requirement.

I think it is most important that you treat the inspector with respect and at the same time question specifically what the requirements are. Ask for the specification or where you can get a copy of what they want you to comply with. Inquire if there are any alternative testing agencies that would be acceptable. Adopt the attitude that you just want to educate yourself in the area that the inspector is working in. Once you get the information then you are equipped to take on the man and win.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Thanks Cecil,

I know that when I talked to Onieda they said they were going to go through the process of getting thier machines UL listed but that it became nearly impossible due to the type of machine it is. Because the machine as a whole must be certified and that would include the Duct....which could never be because it will always be a different configuration. They do make sure thier machines comply with the NFPA 664 code and under that code that my configuration and shop size are exempt me because I am under 5k sq ft. But the city of LB want the machine to be UL listed so I'll see how this flys with them.
    The MiniMax i'm still looking into and I know the motor on the Oliver is UL listed so hopefully that will be good enough.

Thanks for your advice