Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spindle handle for carrying headstock??

Its been a while since I moved my AB - picked it up in 2012 at the symposium in San Jose - Brent set it up to make removing the headstock simpler with quick disconnect connections where possible, but power to the motor still hardwired (needed to retire. A faceplate to use as a grip for the front would be a great idea. Two people both using the faceplate in one hand and the other hand under to base on the opposite end could handle it with ease. Getting it down stairs could be a whole other chore though. When new, my son and I got it out of the trailer I used to haul it and got everything setup in a very short period - less than an hour. A few minutes to retire and I was in business.

When we moved north and got the new shop ready I had it brought up to the island by the moving and storage place that had been storing for me. The mobility set casters were a real godsend, but even then there were no stairs to negotiate.

Trust your movers, do what you can the give them a fighting chance and make sure they’re bonded/insured.

The moving/disassembly instructions on the Robust site are pretty specific. The lathe was ordered with the limit switch disconnect so all I have to do electrically is un-wire the motor, then re-wire when it's in place. The movers are pros, completely insured and bonded that we used five years ago when we moved into this home. They have always had a good reputation and a staff of burly guys.

Thinking I'll have my largest faceplate prepared with an oak "handle", if the movers prefer the bare plate I can remove eight screws in a few seconds.

Not too many years ago my best friend and I would have done this with a pizza or two and a case of beer. Together he and I have made four trips down and up basement stairs with 3520's, sadly, those days are gone. Fortunately LOML has helped me see the light re: pro movers.

Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Pennington View Post
    … Fortunately LOML has helped me see the light re: pro movers.
    Yes. That’s the way I feel about moving pianos these days! We once moved a heavy player piano down a flight of stairs and lifted it through a picture window. Had six healthy guys.
    By contrast I had my heavier grand piano moved by piano movin’ pros - just two guys with the right tools and the right experience.

I moved a 3520B myself but no stairs, just off a trailer, moved the pieces inside on a furniture dolly and used a floor jack to help with assembly.

JKJ

Just a comment for those thinking of moving something like the PM. I have moved a Jet 1642, cabinet saw, RAS, 60 gal compressor and a whole lot more tools into a basement shop that has 2 sections of stairs to go down. I happen to have a furniture hand truck similar to this: Steel Appliance Hand Truck - 2 Wheel H-5047 - Uline
    You can put most anything on it and strap it down tight then it's up to you to guide it safely down the steps. You can use it to take things up the steps too, but it's harder and may require another body or two to accomplish the task.

Here's a good video by Ernie Conover describing dismantling and moving a big Oneway lathe, using a rented powered stair climbing lift truck for the heaviest part, shown at 5:30. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFixTVDFtg
    https://handtrucks2go.com/Battery-Op...paign=Bing-PLA