Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever turn a Corn cob?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ever turn a Corn cob?

I made about 12 of these total to give to the farmers in the family. While interesting to turn it can be a pain. takes a lot of CA glue to get them had enough to turn. And you have to find the right cobs too. Centers are soft so you need small cobs, big cobs you lose the snakeskin effect.

I had problems with the one on the left and ended up adding the ebony bands to get the length right
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert, I Have turned them and agree! It can be trying to get them round at times. Man the result is worth it though.

Great looking pens you got there!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Good looking pens & good save with the ebony bands..I've been wanting
    to try those ever since I saw them in Woodturning Designs last year.
    Where's the best place to find small cobs this time of year?

I get my corn cobs at the borg. We buy the bagged corn ears to feed the squirrels here...keeps them from eating the house.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I turn corn cob pens for the fun of it and to give away to people I like. I find that the corn with the best size cobs for pens are either indian corn or pop corn. The cobs are smaller and easier to turn for pens. Stock up on CA if you are going to turn a few.

This is interesting, finally a subject I can relate to, as I live in the land of corn and soybeans.
    When I was up at the Woodcraft demo. several weeks ago, I met a lady pen turner that turned corn cob pens. Her husband accompanied her and soon joined in on the conversation, noting that he was in the process of developing a corn species for turning . I mentioned to the lady that I wished there was a corn small enough to turn mines, and her reply was; if you pick the corn just after going in to silk -- pollination, the corn will be just like the small corn you get, in a Chinese restaurant.

Just seems like if one would watch the corn, as it is growing, and pick it when it is the right size for pen turning, this could also be some what of a benefit.

I may just see how this all works out early this summer, looking forward to making mines from baby corn cobs.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Robert those are some cool pens. Nice work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking pens for sure ! Haven't turned one yet (smoked a few though). I've got three cobs and am going to do one soon, I swear

POPCORN!!! Duh, and I have about 30 ears of it drying on the porch!! your right those should be just adout perfect.

Thanks guys, I didn't figure I was the first at this. Was just looking for something differant this morning

Ron

Maybe this is a stupid question, but here goes. Where do you get the popcorn cobs? The only kind of popcorn I'm familiar with is Orville Redenbacher. And I've never seen any with the cobs still attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ainge
    I turn corn cob pens for the fun of it and to give away to people I like. I find that the corn with the best size cobs for pens are either indian corn or pop corn. The cobs are smaller and easier to turn for pens. Stock up on CA if you are going to turn a few.
    Keel McDonald ><>

I have two cobs in the shop that have been sitting there for 6 months. I keep hearing how they wear your tools like sandpaper and tend to blow up and need hardening...etc etc. I just keep procrastinating. Yours sure look nice though Robert!!

I bet craft stores have little cobs of Indian Corn or even the grocery stores next to the gourds in Produce.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Keel

I have a freind out in Kansas that sent me some. I think that one of his neighbors grew it. He knew that Iliked popcorn and he thought it would be fun to send me some before Orval got it. I don't know where you could buy some.

Robert,
    Here's one I turned a couple weeks ago.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

These people sell it for popping (Of all the nerve)
    http://www.bigredpopcorn.com/
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald
    Ron

Maybe this is a stupid question, but here goes. Where do you get the popcorn cobs? The only kind of popcorn I'm familiar with is Orville Redenbacher. And I've never seen any with the cobs still attached.
    I get mine out of the Garden Chinese hull less to be exact. Heres whats on the porch drying.

And yes I built the table and its on the porch because its a reject