Thread: Bevel Sled Rebuild

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Bevel Sled Rebuild

I had a nice little sled that I used for bevel cuts. Small boxes, angled panels, that sort of thing. It ended up getting water damaged (long story) and I have done without for quite a while. I needed one the other day but worked around it. I am tired of doing this so I searched in the sheds for an old sled of dad's that I knew was buried somewhere. This sled was set up for a ZipCode saw that dad inherited from me years ago. It had t-tracks for hold downs but lacked the replaceable ZCI parts that I like. By the time I removed the runners and fences there were just a pile of parts.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (10).jpg

The bed sections were not wide enough for what I needed so I just glued in some filler strips and clamped the whole thing up like any other panel glue up.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (1).jpg

I cut the wide dado for the 3" wide ZCI strip that seats in the base. I used that dado to line up the dado for the ZCI in the fence. You can see that I epoxied some filler pieces into the previous kerfs that will not be used in my setup. Not really necessary and won't whos once the ZCI's are in but I wanted a clean start.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (6).jpg

I made a 90 degree cut to allow me to use the 5-cut method to set the fence. I did this without the ZCI inserts in place. The primary use of this sled is for bevels so there wasn't a lot of choices for how to screw on the 'dummy block'. I went with pocket screws located in areas that the blade could never reach. I set a couple of old business cards under the block to elevate it just a bit. This gives clearance to make sliding the replaceable ZCI inserts in and out easier.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (18).jpg

I grabbed some scrap and made a little organizer for LOML for the bathroom sink to test the sled for accuracy. The bevels all line up well along their length so I am calling this a success.

Vanity Org (8).jpg

When not in use the sled hangs on the cleat/peg wall.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (16).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-27-2023 at 7:28 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler