I spent a little time in the shop, first trying to remember where I left off on the laundry table project, and then swerving to build a Pickleball dink board. Essentially a flat piece of plywood with different zones marked to practice dinking and volleys. I made it so it clamps onto the inside of our garage door.

The tree guys I hired showed up to remove all the dead trees from the front half of our lot. They were mostly ash; some standing, many on the ground or leaning. It was a *lot* of work. They had a crew of 8 and spent nearly two full days working at a pace only the young can maintain. I hated to spend the $$ but I hated the idea of spending months doing it myself more.

We did have a bit of excitement one evening, and not the good kind. Around dinner time, we got a text from the local emergency listserv that an armed and dangerous man was on the loose in our neighborhood and to lock everything down, stay inside, and shelter in place.

It seems a semi had broken down on the highway 5 or 10 miles to our south. Apparently the driver pulled a gun on the repair mechanic that came to his aid. The police were called and they located the truck but the driver disconnected the trailer and took off down the highway in the cab before the police could talk to him. A chase ensued and ended when the local police deployed stop sticks on the highway causing the tractor to go off the road and crash. The driver jumped out and ran for the woods. This was at a point about 1-2 miles from our house. The police closed the freeway and started a manhunt with a search plane and chopper. We got the word after a few hours that the man was found unconscious at the bottom of a steep ravine that he apparently fell into and was taken to the hospital and placed under arrest. I'm glad it ended OK, but I am amazed at the series of bad decisions made by the individual...