Thread: Jet 16-42 Inverter Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Here's an update. As indicated earlier, I purchased a refurbished VFD that is exactly the same as the original, using the logic that the connections and mounting holes would match perfectly. They did. It went in easily and the lathe now runs. I've already turned a half dozen projects, both large and small. BUT....

Right away, I noticed that the very top speed wasn't as high as previously, topping out at about 2500 rpm. I called in a technician who, armed with a printout of the VFD manual, who went through the process of restoring the original factory settings, and it still isn't exactly right. The lathe works, but for things like buffing I'd like to have that higher speed. Should I get Jet's Tech Service involved?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

You should get the company where you purchased the refurb VFD to help. It's going to be hard for Jet to help on DIY installs and someone else's parts. Buy from them, different story. Did you check the potentiometer? Maybe its range is reduced from dust.